KCRW Reveals Best of 2017 Winners for
Top Ten Albums
Top Ten Songs
Best New Artist
at Inaugural KCRW’s Best of 2017 Music Awards
Santa Monica, CA (December 8, 2017) – KCRW has revealed the station’s Best of 2017, the coveted list of this year’s Top Ten Albums and Top Ten Songs to cross the airwaves, and propel music culture forward. New to 2017, is the addition of the Best New Artist category. Full list of winners below.
The Best of 2017 winners were announced in front of a live audience last night at the inaugural KCRW’s Best of 2017 Music Awards, hosted by Music Director Jason Bentley at Bob Clearmountain’s Apogee Studios in Santa Monica. Bentley was joined by KCRW DJs who individually revealed and reviewed the winners on stage. Special guest DJ Reggie Watts launched the evening’s festivities with a special DJ set.
Each year the KCRW DJs get together for a year-in-review of their favorite music. Nominees for KCRW’s Top 10 Albums, Top 10 Songs, and Best New Artist were selected by KCRW’s panel of independent DJs for originality, buzz and total number of mentions throughout the year. Winners will receive prizes, heavy on-air rotation, as well as digital and on-air promotion.
KCRW’s Best of 2017 Music Awards Winners:
Top Ten Albums
- The War On Drugs – A Deeper Understanding
- Kendrick Lamar – DAMN.
- King Krule – The OOZ
- LCD Soundsystem – american dream
- Gabriel Garzón-Montano – Jardín
- Chicano Batman – Freedom Is Free
- Dan Auerbach – Waiting on a Song
- Washed Out – Mister Mellow
- Beck – Colors
- Elbow – Little Fictions
Top Ten Songs
- Amber Mark – “Lose My Cool”
- Portugal. The Man – “Feel It Still”
- Courtney Barnett and Kurt Vile – “Over Everything”
- Odesza – “Across The Room (feat. Leon Bridges)”
- The National – “The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness”
- Café Tacvba – “Me Gusta Tu Manera”
- Father John Misty – “Ballad of the Dying Man”
- Mondo Cozmo – “Plastic Soul”
- Grizzly Bear – “Mourning Sound”
- Sampha – “(No One Knows Me) Like the Piano”
Best New Artist: Tom Misch
“There’s a sense of ease and maturity to Misch’s work, and with such a versatile and ever-improving skill set – producing, writing, singing, guitar – the possibilities for this artist feel infinite…” – KCRW DJ Travis Holcombe
In addition to the station’s Best of 2017 each KCRW DJ has revealed their personal top 10 albums. Check it all out at the interactive and immersive Best of 2017 website.
KCRW creates and curates a unique mix of content centered around music discovery, NPR news, cultural exploration and informed public affairs. We are driven by the spirit of LA and deliver in innovative ways — on the radio, digitally and in person — to diverse, curious communities around the corner and around the world. A community service of Santa Monica College, KCRW can be found on the air in LA, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Mojave, Palm Springs, and via five KCRW-developed smart phone apps and online at kcrw.com.
Twitter | twitter.com/kcrw
Facebook | facebook.com/kcrwradio
Instagram | instagram.com/kcrw
Google+ | plus.google.com/+kcrw