KCRW Year in Tech 2012 – Music
SANTA MONICA, CA, November 27, 2012– From Music Mine to Malcolm, KCRW (89.9FM and KCRW.com) has made great strides in providing music fans with expertly-curated means of music discovery, as well as offering musicians a place to BE discovered.
From KCRW’s Director of Web and Mobile Development, Nathan Lubeck:
“As we like to say, KCRW is much more than a radio station and there is even more to come from KCRW Digital in 2013. Whether you’re a band wanting to connect with an active KCRW community or a listener hoping to explore new music and great programming — be on the lookout for new mobile apps and many more opportunities to engage with us.”
Here’s a roundup of KCRW’s Year in Tech in 2012 and what you have to look forward to.
- KCRW Radio and Fringe Benefits apps can now be found across the iPhone, Android and BlackBerry platforms
- iPad: KCRW’s Music Mine app for iPad has been downloaded by 70,000 users, who spend an average of 45 minutes playing on the app.
- SPOTIFY: As Spotify continues to expand, so does KCRW!
KCRW’s Music Mine app for Spotify is now available in 20 countries, including Ireland, Monaco, and Andorra. KCRW was the first U.S. radio station to launch a music discovery app on the Spotify platform. It is now one of the most popular apps on the site.
- MALCOLM: The Podcast (Episode 2) is out now, highlighting the best songs from KCRW’s digital submission system. Thousands of artists have submitted music for potential airplay. The interactive website, created by KCRW, allows bands to create a profile page and submit songs. Soon we will be adding new features which will allow musicians to communicate with each other within the site and enable the public to hear the music submitted to MALCOLM.
HD and iHeartRadio
- HD: This year, KCRW launched a second HD channel (HD-2) making our 24-hour music stream Eclectic24 available on HD radios across Southern California.
Created by former KCRW music director Chris Douridas, Eclectic24 is our 24-hour music discovery center, offering a wide array of music drawn from the playlists of our talented deejays. Eclectic24 is the 3rd most visited page on KCRW.com
- iHeartRadio: In January, KCRWwas one of the first public stations to offers its simulcast, music and news streams on iHeartRadio.Also, with the announcement of iHeartRadio as Yahoo’s exclusive radio partner, KCRW’s all music channel Eclectic24 is now one of 15 genre stations featured. On Yahoo! Music, launch the Indie Rock channel to find Eclectic24.
MORNING BECOMES ECLECTIC VIDEO
- Launched Live and OnDemand HD video for Morning Becomes Eclectic with 401,000 total HD video views since June launch. See it here. (Soon to be upgrading to the Ooyala platform!)
- KCRW partnered with Do213.net to launch a community driven KCRW Events Calendar. Rich in sharing features and augmented with Band Profiles and listen links, it’s also its own social network. Users can create a profile and build their own version of the calendar to share recommended events on a personal website or keep track of the events they’ve attended, like a social diary.
- KCRW’s playlist pages – both for our live music programs and 24-hour online music stream Eclectic24 – are among the most visited pages on KCRW.com.KCRW is working on a number of initiatives to make this information more easily available, including a weekly roundup of the Top 10 Most Played Bands on KCRW’s signature show Morning Becomes Eclectic each week and regular Twitter updates from twitter.com/kcrwplaylist.
About KCRW: KCRW 89.9FM is an NPR affiliate serving Southern California and licensed to Santa Monica College. The public radio station represents cutting edge radio at its best, presenting an eclectic mix of independent music, news, talk and arts programming. The terrestrial signal serves Los Angeles, Orange, and Ventura counties, as well as parts of San Diego, San Bernardino, Kern, and Santa Barbara counties and the greater Palm Springs area. KCRW’ s programming is internationally renowned and available worldwide at KCRW.com. KCRW offers an all-music channel, Eclectic24, an all news channel and on-air simulcast. . Podcasts and archives of our locally-produced programs and live band performances are available on our website, as well as on our smartphone apps for the iPhone, Android and Blackberry. KCRW’s acclaimed Music Mine app for iPad is dedicated to music discovery.
Music Publicity Director
1900 Pico Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA 90405
(310) 314-4625 DIRECT