Service dog Phoebe takes a break

Service dog Phoebe takes a break

My curiosity about service dogs began when a friend told me he’d bought a certification letter from a website so that his beloved dog could fly with him on the plane for free. (Love the friend, hate the ethics.)

He was tired of paying $150 extra for the pooch and he had discovered that all you need is a letter from a psychiatrist to say you must have your dog with you and the airline has to let you take him on, for free. (If you don’t have a letter, you can answer a few questions online and pay for one.)

Then, a new neighbor moved in to our pet-friendly apartment building. He had two tiny dogs, “This one is certified for anxiety,” he told me one morning. “This one I’m training so I don’t have to leave him at home.” What he didn’t say is that landlords have to allow service dogs into a building, even if dogs aren’t typically welcome, and they can’t charge pet rent.

Thus began my interest in the Modern Service Dog Conundrum.

The good news: Dogs (and other animals) are being deployed to help people with a wider range of medical concerns than ever before.

(L) Lauren Henderson displays her service dog's certification. (R) This sign at the LA Public Library makes it clear: Only service dogs allowed.

(L) Lauren Henderson displays her service dog’s certification. (R) This sign at the LA Public Library makes it clear: Only service dogs allowed.

The confusing news: Not all of them have the rights of service dogs, like the highly trained dogs who aid the sight-impaired.

The bad (and not surprising) news: People are taking advantage of the system. They’re aided and abetted by a phalanx of confusing rules, pet-owners’ willingness to cheat the system and privacy laws that prohibit businesses from asking too many questions. In California, it’s a misdemeanor to fake a service dog, punishable with prison or a fine or both.

One group, Canine Companions for Independence, has an online petition they plan to take to Washington to see if the rules and regulations can get sorted out. LA resident Lauren Henderson is even making a documentary about her life with a service dog to try to show people what it means to need and love a service animal. I spoke with her and others about why there’s so much confusion in this story:

• Celena Harrington said:

CERTIFIED service dogs or mini ponies are NOT the same as REGISTERED companion animals. ADA states only CERTIFIED service are exempt from pet rules, and should be easily be identified by vest and on rigid leash.

• Etiquette with Service Dogs | My Magic Dog said:

[…] Is that service dog really a service dog? […]

• Dog Trainer Course said:

A normal dog has big potentials to become service dogs. With the right training, they will learn it easily. obedience dog training and aggressive dog training are the most basic training that a dog must learn.

• Nadine Crockett said:

I live in a "No Pets" allowed retirement park. I love dogs. My favorite was a black lab named Mac who lived to be 14. It was a very sad time for me when he died, and I would love to have a dog here. My Doctor has told me because I am being treated for depression he would write a letter saying I should have one as a service dog. I will not do that, but there are several people in the park who have done just that. Fortunately, I have a granddog up in NY State I can go to visit once in a while. (Of course I go there to see my grandsons too)! My daughter has raised three service dogs, and I hope they are going to someone who really needs them.

• Sara Hardy said:

I think there should be a law that says service dogs must wear special pet tags that identify them as such. You could make them be a special shape or a odd color. Something that stands out so business owners could look and see it and know that they don't need to question the patron. I think some (not all) people abuse the term "service dog".

• kylehar lan said:

really enjoyed reading your different articles about Goldendoodle puppies . They are so informative and interesting.

• sable said:

I am sorry but per ADA laws there is not a certification for service dogs or regerstation about 90% of all dog are trained by there owners and the only dogs that is REQUIRED to have a certified trainer is a guide dog thats why the laws are so saddly taken advantaged of so often I have to defend my rights all the time against the public that only know the false laws

• Dog Training said:

Thank you for the great information.

• Frank said:

Nice post. Great job

• help digestion said:

Every person like the different species of dog and this kind of services always attracts to every person. Food is always played and important role to make human and animal more healthy so if you need any kind of food related help about dogs then feel free and contact with us.

• Chad said:

I have heard of this too. There is a need for service dogs, animals can be a great benefit to people. Unfortunately, like you pointed out in this article there are some people who take advantage of the current rules which makes you wonder what is legitimate and what's not.

• Games said:

I like The actual perform game titles on the web. I am unable to lose time waiting for the sport on the net. We were holding by far and away local plumber We have previously examine, the internet site and also the standing shall be delicious.

• Pami said:

We need stronger laws that says all service dogs should have to wear uniform and service dog patches go online to Pup’parel.com to buy your to day also they sale vest too. Pass the word on.

• EbtoriTikq said:

Have you considered a bearded dragon? They are fun and friendly and good with kids. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeJllwYXHXY bearded dragons

• {pet|animal|dog|cat} {sitting|sitters} Raleigh NC said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LErGfwfWeF4 pet sitters Raleigh NC Animal sitter is the only selection when considering what to do regarding your dog or cat while you are away from house. Our in home solution permits your pet to stay at house in their knowledgeable atmosphere rather than being carried to a strange place or even caged.

• vitamin suplement for {dogs|canines|pet dogs|pets} said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXN6qMk5fwM Antioxidants and vitamins can lengthen your dogs life and help in rehabilitation to their health and wellness

• german {shepherd|guard} {puppies|young puppies|new puppies} said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Jj7au7kg0 german shepherd puppies is the most effective video for seeing these adorable pet dogs running, playing, and being around charming. It reveals them being fun at different points of their youthful life. After enjoying this, anybody might see just how this would make the perfect puppy for their family members.

• german {shepherd|guard} {puppies|young puppies|new puppies} said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Jj7au7kg0 german shepherd puppies is the most effective video for seeing these lovable pets running, playing, and being all around charming. It reveals them being enjoyable at different factors of their young life. After seeing this, anyone can view just how this would make the perfect new puppy for their family.

• german {shepherd|guard} {puppies|young puppies|new puppies} said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Jj7au7kg0 german shepherd puppies is the most effective video for viewing these lovable pet dogs running, playing, and being all around adorable. It reveals them being enjoyable at different factors of their youthful life. After watching this, any individual can see just how this would certainly make the perfect young puppy for their household.

• obat sinusitis said:

what a good review, I can't wait for the next review

• how to stop separation anxiety in dogs said:

Than you very much for your very informative post. The information will prove to be very useful to me.

• dog pack leader said:

Becoming a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHphaoVnoJk dog pack leader is the main thing in the entire training procedure.

• {Stop|Quit} Your {Dog|Canine|Pet dog|Pet} from {Pulling|Drawing|Taking} on {Leash|Chain} said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz_egLdNr78 Stop Leash Pulling Strategies That presently has a feeble or uncomfortable shoulder from their pet taking them and tugging them later on?

Me, me, me, I hear you cry! There are essentially millions of people which need to sustain their stroll with their dog rather than enjoy it.

So why not train your dog to stroll at hand without drawing as soon as and afterwards appreciate every walk without any sort of inconvenience!

Make good sense? And the remarkable point is it’s not complexed! Just like a great deal of points worth knowing it can take a little time, yet not constantly.
    Yet permit me initial chat you with a few of the really vital errors that people are making when strolling their dog.

Now as I pointed out previously there are bunches of strategies to walking your canine on the chain properly to make certain that they walk alongside you. And if you have really a determined dog, (and they are available in both big and little measurement) you might well have to know everyone of them before you could grasp the stroll.

Yet usually speaking, the tricks I am about to offer you now will absolutely help … So allow’s acquire fracturing and get into the training.

The most vital thing to keep in mind is to keep your pet dog calm. If your dog is asked for up like a raving bull as you head out of the garden entrance, like the one in the video clip then obtaining them to walk calmly on the leash is visiting be a lot harder compared to if they are tranquil.

• Dustina said:

Seems like an easy solution to me. I would say that a vast majority of disabled people are on Disability or Social Security. The "System" already knows about our Disability and perhaps they could make some kind of special marking on their Social Security Card or Medicaid Card which states that this person is permitted to have a service dog. We would supply the proof to them where the dog was trained and who trained it. I know that I got an ID from the School where I got my Dog with the dogs picture as well as mine on it, the name of the dog, age of dog, breed of dog and breed batch number.

• Dustina said:

Hey Nadine, I am blind and I have a Guide Dog. I actually see no problem with you having a service dog being that your Psychiatrist is willing to write a letter to that effect. Also, if you have anything like High Blood pressure it has been proven that dogs lower the blood pressure. If you qualify…then get it. It is the one's that do not qualify that are a problem. A true Service Dog is usually very well behaved no matter where you take it which usually sets aside the real from the fake….but not always the case, but most of the time…is. Get your trained Service Dog. You deserve it!

• {Puppy|Young puppy|New puppy} {Dog|Canine|Pet dog|Pet} Common {Behavior|Habits} Disorders, Issues said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75v3s5JpUfc Puppy Canine Common Habits Disorders Do any of these habits issues sound knowledgeable to you?
    Aggressive habits to folks or other pet dogs– Extreme barking in the automobile, at the fence or when laid off– Adhd … never ever unwinds, never quits going– Fearfulness, scared or tense– Disobedience … will not come when called, will not heel– Chewing, mouthing, taking whenever, any kind of location– Toileting in the incorrect spot– Careful hearing– Unforeseeable or insane habits– Splitting up anxiety … wailing or stressing when you are out, munching, barking …

• Medic said:

I was looking for medical information and found your nice site :)

• pet trainer new york city said:

You can always put it in the washing machine with a load of washing.
    Are you thinking about purchasing your first pet hermit crab.
    Because arachnids can be stored in glass terrarium, it is possible to put
    them on show.

• Fat Surgeon said:

Great information here you have.

• Lucy Dress Shop said:

Nonetheless, amazing publish and I would come returning once more soon and get myself more modified.

• Yorkies Are Cute said:

Wow, I can't believe that there are people out there who would fake this sort of thing. Thank you for bringing awareness to this issue. https://www.facebook.com/yorkiesarecute

• grin.to said:

My brother recommended I miight like this website.
    He was totally right. This post actually made my
    day. Yoou can noot imagine simply how much time I had spent for thuis info!

Thanks!

• Jasmin said:

It is a common depression 5 htp desire of all business people to
    see their company grow, but that number was still higher than most forms of advertising.

Fill in the below given form to get a good list broker and explain what you hope to achieve.
    Using targeted mailing lists allows you to consider which one is best for
    your business. You do not have the budget or the time to
    be timid about marketing if you want to target.

• invincibleservices said:

Thanks for the write-ups about service dogs.

• James Boyle said:

Unfortunately if there is a loophole, somebody will take advantage of it!
    Having said that, I see no issue with allowing well trained (real) service dogs to go wherever their owner is allowed.