Vaping. Photo via by planetc1/ Flickr/Creative Commons

Vaping. Photo via by planetc1/ Flickr/Creative Commons

This week I inhaled Unicorn Blood for the first time. That’s not some Satanic drug ritual or a Harry Potter-themed beverage — it’s one flavor of nicotine liquid, or “e-juice” among the hundreds you can buy for an e-cigarette. What’s it taste like? Skittles and black tea. I also tried Nightwatch (coffee and doughnuts), Nice Melons, Harvest Berries, and Papa’s Cough Medicine.

If that sounds fun, you can see why public health experts who’ve battled tobacco companies for decades are worried. More on that later.

E-cigarettes have surged in popularity, going from a party trick for ravers and techies to a booming industry that’s expected to reap $1 billion in 2013 and even start sneaking some market share away from tobacco companies. A pair of reports out this month has policymakers debating the devices: One troubling study found that their use among high school students doubled since 2011; on the other hand, research published in the journal Lancet found that e-cigarettes may be as effective in helping quit tobacco as the patch. The state of California already bans the sale of e-cigarettes to minors, but city and state lawmakers are considering tighter restrictions, including moratoriums on new shops that sell e-cigarettes.

To understand this booming industry, I stopped by the Vapor Spot on Westwood Blvd. It’s a long showroom filled with display cases and mini-bar stations with retro bar stools. Five or six staff members man the bars, taking puffs of e-cigs while they field questions and make sales on iPads. Think the VIP Lounge for Virgin Airlines crossed with an apothecary. There are rows of tiny bottles and cartridges lining the walls, holding various flavors and strengths.

My bartender was the store’s manager Tino. He grabbed a dozen or so flavors of e-juice. Some were nicotine-free. Others contained 6 milligrams of nicotine. He picked up a cartridge and screwed it into the end of a handheld device that looks like a big balllpoint pen. The whole process takes a few seconds so there’s a lot of mixing and matching flavors.

To inhale, you press a button and put the mouthpiece to your lips. Metal coils inside the device heat the liquid and turn it into vapor. It feels like sucking on a humidifier but with a tingle on the back of your throat. Depending on how hard you inhale and the variety of the vapor, the device can create a massive cloud like a water pipe.

Little is known about the contents of what you’re ingesting when you use an e-cigarette. Though they don’t contain tobacco and the FDA has done a few studies, each brand varies wildly because they’re not regulated the way cigarettes, or even Nicotine gum is regulated. After trying about a dozen flavors I had an unpleasant tickle in my throat.

If e-cigarette vendors and vapor shops are trying to create an experience around buying these products — mission accomplished. Vaping is probably as close to smoking as you’re going to get without lighting up the traditional way. And they’ve managed to make shopping for e-cigarettes feel both like buying a new phone and going to a bar. In fact, one of the high-end devices can cost you as much as a new phone ($100 and up).

People on both sides of the public health debate agree vaping is intended to be fun. The question for policymakers is: Will this fun lure a whole generation of new nicotine users to get hooked on a dangerous product we know very little about? Or will it be so fun that smokers who would otherwise be at high-risk of cancer abandon tobacco for a less harmful alternative? Don’t expect the answer anytime soon.

• @marcblackwell said:

Well I was kinda hopin' for some answers here as I puff on my e-cig.

Wiki says: "Liquid for producing vapor in electronic cigarettes, commonly known as e-juice or e-liquid, is a solution of propylene glycol(PG), vegetable glycerin (VG), and/or polyethylene glycol 400 (PEG400) mixed with concentrated flavors; and optionally, a variable concentration of nicotine."

Propylene glycol is an organic water-ish compound. Glycerol is a simple polyol (sugar alcohol) compound. It is a colorless, odorless, and is sweet-tasting and of low toxicity.

If you don't get nicotine e-juice you're "smoking" an organic, low toxicity liquid compound. At least that's what I tell myself to help me sleep better at night. :)

• mike leder said:

Maybe Marc Blackwell should have written the article. At least he included some useful info.

• ecigboss.com said:

It's Time To Quit Smoking : Electronic Cigarettes the Answer. How to quit smoking and enjoy the real life ? Since you are a smoker, you need to educate yourself about the dangers of smoking. Hopefully you have decided that it is time for you to get rid of this nasty, killer habit. I believe electronic cigarette help you quit smoking.

• magentonkxxi said:

Great stuff from you, man. Ive read your stuff before and youre just too awesome. I love what youve got here, love what youre saying and the way you say it. You make it entertaining and you still manage to keep it smart. I cant wait to read more from you. This is really a great blog.

• electronic cigarette said:

Yes i know e-cigarettes banned in schools because schools is the best place to learn about on any thing, so i think it’s not good thing , but out of the schools range i recommend you may use this but very in low quantity , Thanks

• Candice Glass said:

E-Cigarettes are a good alternative to smoking tobacco. I myself tried various ways to quit tobacco but was unable to do so until I heard of e-cigarette and I used it as an alternative to quitting tobacco.

Now I do not feel like smoking tobacco anymore. I am really happy to quit tobacco.

• BoostedVapor.com said:

I totally agree with above statement e-cigarettes are a good alternative to smoking tobacco and it really helps you in quitting tobacco.

• Vip Electronic Cigarette said:

As smoking is hazardous to well being, folks contemplate it a far better option to buy e-cigarettes as a substitute of utilizing the true ones. This is due to the fact actual smoking can lead to a whole lot of issues so it has grow to be a pattern to manufacture e cigarettes as an alternative of actual cigarettes.

• Marsha54 said:

KV Racing announced the Mistic E-Cigs brand as a primary sponsor for four-time Indy car champion Sebastien Bourdais on Tuesday.ecigs<a/>

• e cigarette reviews said:

Hello everyone, it’s my first visit at this site, and paragraph is really
    fruitful designed for me, keep up posting these types
    of content.

• buy varifocal cheap prescription lenses online said:

My brother recommended I might like this website.
    He was entirely right. This put up truly made
    my day. You cann’t imagine just how a lot time I had spent for
    this info! Thank you!

• best e cigs said:

Personally I think electronic cigarette can help you quit smoking. It is a lot safer than smoking regular cigarette, I am not saying e cigs are not harmful, it is, but it's a lot less chemicals than using regular cigarettes.

• Vaping ban passes LA City Council | Which Way L.A.? said:

[…] – the practice of smoking e-cigarettes – is about to be a lot more restricted in Los […]

• Tronic Vape said:

This is a very interesting post. There are plenty of people who try to stop smoking regular cigarettes by using the patch and or gum, but were unsuccessful. Then they tried e-cigarettes, and never went back to regular cigarettes and or never craved them.

• katy garage door opener repair parts said:

Why users still make use of to read news papers when
    in this technological globe all is accessible on net?

My web site :: katy garage door opener repair parts

• artdefumer.fr said:

Hey would you mind letting me know which hosting company
    you’re using? I’ve loaded your blog in 3 completely different web browsers
    and I muust say this blog loads a lot fastwr then most. Can you suggest a good hosting provider
    at a fair price? Thanks, I appreciate it!

• E Juice said:

Superb blog! Do you have any tips and hints
    for aspiring writers? I’m planning to start my own website soon but I’m a little lost on everything.
    Would you suggest starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out
    there that I’m totally confused .. Any recommendations?
    Cheers!

• Real smoke Free Provide Best electronic cigarettes to buy Ecigarette uk said:

great points altogether, you simply won a logo new reader.

What could you recommend about your post that you just made some
    days in the past? Any positive?