YACHT-NSA-Wall

Silver Lake-based band YACHT recorded “Party at the NSA” to benefit the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

L.A.’s electro-pop outfit YACHT teamed up with L.A.-based comedian Marc Maron to protest the National Security Agency’s surveillance programs the old fashioned way — with a protest song. “Party at the NSA” is a pay-what-you-want download. According to the band, all profits will be donated to the Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit digital rights group.

Band members Claire Evans and Jona Bechtolt joined KCRW’s Steve Chiotakis to discuss their new song.

You can listen to their new song here:

In true cyber-punk fashion, the band built a website for the song featuring a specialized font called ZXX designed by a former NSA contractor. It’s a typeface that’s supposedly unreadable by text scanning software (all the random font permutations confuse artificial intelligence programs).

I reached Electronic Frontier Foundation spokesman Dave Maass by phone this morning after the site went live and Maron tweeted out the link. “We are totally stoked on this,” said Maass. “It’s a further indication that people care about this, and not just conspiracy theorists. It’s musicians, it’s youth, it’s comedians.”

Maass said it was hard to tell whether this was the first Snowden-inspired fundraiser on EFF’s behalf. “We don’t always know when people are fundraising for us.”

Polls show the issue of digital privacy resonates more with a younger generation of Internet users (18-29 year-olds) so an online music fundraiser seems fitting.

“Everyone involved, from the credit card processing company to the mastering engineer, has donated their time,” YACHT singer (and, full disclosure, a friend of mine) Claire Evans said.

Marc-Maron

If you’re wondering where Maron comes in, skip ahead to 2:25 for the squelching guitar solo. “I’m a huge supporter of the EFF,” Maron said in an e-mail. “I worked with them recently helping to raise money and awareness of the patent troll issue.” The comedian, most known for his WTF podcast (formerly broadcast on KCRW 89.9), can shred on six strings. “I have no idea why they asked me to play guitar on the track. I’m only good at one thing on the guitar. It just so happens it was exactly the thing they needed.”

The song takes aim at what they call a “far-reaching and unaccountable domestic spying program.” The main riff sounds a lot like electro duo Suicide took the classic Elvis Costello song “Pump It Up” and sped it up. They lyrics veer cynical and cheeky. Think Julian Assange meets the Ramone’s “I Wanna Be Sedated.”

Did you read my mail again?
How do you find the time?
I lost my signal yesterday,
But it was never mine.

P-P-P-Party at the NSA,
Twenty, twenty, twenty-four hours a day!

“Party at the NSA” may be the first local iteration, but other online musicians have taken inspiration from the leaks about PRISM and other NSA data collection programs.  San Francisco can claim Brooks Rocco’s “Tinfoil in Every Hat (Hey Hey, NSA),” which, according to the Huffington Post, he wrote while riding his bicycle the day after Snowden’s first round of revelations hit the media back in May. In June, Puerto Rico’s Calle 13 and it’s outspoken lead singer “Residente” announced a collaboration with WikiLeaks leader Julian Assange to write a song about media manipulation and censorship.

There are other NSA-themed spoofs and send-ups. But with about 15,000 Twitter followers, YACHT may be the kind of band that can spur social media chatter. The challenge, of course, may be getting listeners to actually pay for the download.

• Phil said:

The problem is that the EFF is on the wrong side of some issues. They fight against artists legitimate rights to control and profit from their work.

• Realist said:

This "anthem" is for for privileged white people who have nothing more important to freak out about other than the internet. This is especially funny coming from YACHT, who's always extolling the internet and goes from "if it's on the internet, it's public" to this. If you want to take advantage of technology, be prepared for the risks. It reminds me of people who hide cash under their mattress because they don't trust banks. If you are that worried about your privacy, don't post things online. If you're not building a bomb or doing anything criminal, what does it really matter? You had no idea what the NSA was doing before Snowden and now what has changed now that you know? Nothing.

How about doing an anthem for something that actually matters, like Americans not having healthcare, gun control and the millions of other things that actually have an impact on people's lives..

• TSR80 said:

YACHT is so great! If you are down south between now and Sept. 28th drop in to the Escondido Municipal Gallery. Claire has juried an exhibition of local scientists/artists at the gallery. Free and home to the quantum future viewer.

• MNB said:

20/20 24 hours a day!

• Greenseasons.us said:

A nice blog always comes with new and good information and while reading I have feel that this blog is really have all those quality.

• Totskie said:

awesome, love how quickly y'all jumped on this! The LA-based electro-pop-rock band YACHT has something to say about that

Cheers,
    Yacht club Perth

• Martin said:

Greath share!. Very infornative , love spoofs espcially the ones with actual content.

Kevin

• seo services jaipur said:

We provide best digital marketing services in jaipur. Use latest teqnique and theme wise backlinks.

• Mattconsidine.com said:

I am so glad that I found an interesting and informative post like yours. Several of the blogs that I’ve seen in these previous days did not please me due to insufficient substance.

• Steel Distributors said:

I am happy to capture your article and that too after long time. Wonderful job you have done in this article, I am always fond for this kind of article. I have noted down the important details from your article..as its helping me out in clearing out my doubt..

• Pharma Formulation said:

I liked it, the facts you have written and the way you are pointing out on the spectacle. You are a perfect blogger, Thanks for sharing the information. Great efforts!

• SFKHJKJHw13RK said:

and the way you are pointing out on the spectacle. You are a perfect blogger, Thanks for sharing the information. Great efforts! Wear promo code for 2014

• SFKHJKJdfg said:

public" to this. If you want to take advantage of technology, be prepared for the risks. It reminds me of people who hide cash under their mattress because they don't trust banks. If you are that worried about your privacy, don't post things online. If you're not building a bomb or doing anything criminal, what does it really manuka honey

• Foodini said:

• Wrinkle Cream said:

• Online Fashion said:

Adorable party wearing for both. I love to wear pencil dresses when joining parties with my friends. For latest trends in suiting I always love to search out internet.

• sw308495 said:

new agreement between the city and the union that represents about 9 in 10 workers at the Department of Water and Power.Snapchat Username Directory