todaysnewsbanner2
Obamacare. California has taken a big step toward compliance with Obamacare. The state’s new health insurance exchange has announced the plans – and the prices – that will be offered to those seeking individual insurance policies under the federal healthcare law.

As many as five million uninsured Californians are expected to seek coverage when Obamacare takes effect next year. The exchange will begin enrolling customers in the fall.

State officials selected plans from 13 companies. Most consumers will have about five plans to choose from. Premiums will range from nothing to almost $700 a month, depending on a subscriber’s income, age, where they live and the plan they select.

Peter Lee, executive director of Covered California, as the health exchange is known, says that contrary to the claims of critics, the coverage is affordable. “These plans have reached out to doctors, to medical groups and hospitals to come together to offer competitive prices with rich benefits with very good networks.”

Most of the state’s largest insurers will participate in the exchange, but some companies have elected to sit on the sidelines, for the first year, at least, and wait to see how the system works. Sacramento Bee

Defending deputies. The Sheriff of Kern County says deputies who were caught on videotape beating a suspect who later died acted properly. Sheriff Donny Youngblood cited autopsy results concluding that David Silva, a 33-year-old, father of four, died of hypertensive heart disease. Youngblood said that deputies who hit Silva with batons after he resisted arrest avoided his head and neck. And he said Silva was stoned on drugs and alcohol. The May 8th beating raised questions of police brutality and prompted the Kern Sheriff to request an independent investigation by the FBI. An attorney for Silva’s family says it’s hard to believe the baton blows and bites from a police dog did not contribute to Silva’s death. Bakersfield Californian

L.A. budget. The L.A. City Council has tentatively approved a $7.7 budget for the new fiscal year beginning in July. The last budget of the Antonio Villaraigosa era includes a previously agreed to 5.5 percent pay raise for some 18,000 city workers. Outgoing city councilman and Mayor-elect Eric Garcetti joined the unanimous vote in favor of the budget, but he said this should be the last raise city workers see for a while. L.A. Times

Leimert Park victory. They’re holding a party this morning in Leimert Park. L.A. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas are expected to be on hand as community activists celebrate a decision by the MTA Board to build a light rail station in the neighborhood. The $80 million underground station will be built on the Crenshaw Line, which is scheduled for completion five years from now. Activists fought for years to get a station in Leimert Park. Advocates say it will help revitalize L.A.’s historic African-American business corridor.
L.A. Observed

Ballot boosting. There’s been a lot hand-wringing among local pols over the meager turnout in this week L.A. city election. Preliminary counts show fewer than 20 percent of eligible voters cast votes. State Senator Kevin DeLeon says the solution is to hold city elections at the same time as presidential elections, when turnout is usually much higher. The idea is not a new one, but it’s getting a new look in light of the disappointing turnout Tuesday. The L.A. City Clerk’s office, however, says the city’s voting systems cannot accommodate such a large ballot. L.A. Times

Beach grades. If there’s a silver lining to Southern California’s lack of rainfall, you can find it at the beach. Most of the region’s coastal areas received good to excellent ratings for water quality in the latest report card from Heal the Bay. Rainfall sends a lot of garbage and bacteria into the Pacific Ocean, but there hasn’t been much of it this year. The list of beaches getting A-plus ratings includes Hermosa Beach, Cabrillo Beach and The Wedge in Newport. Avalon Beach in Catalina and Doheny Beach in Dana Point both got Fs. Heal the Bay

• buy said:

My brother recommended I might like this website. He used to be entirely right. This put up truly made my day. You cann’t consider simply how a lot time I had spent for this information! Thank you!

• Clementine said:

There's a subsidy calculator on the barss website.. Caveats: I work for the place that created this but had nothing to do with its creation; it depends a lot on where you are – the calculator is meant to be a ballparking kind of thing, not a "this is exactly how much you will pay" kind of thing.

• minimalist said:

I am not a pure vegetarian but I love food like this, I can somehow say it is a good thing to consider to gain more nutrients for the body. HGH

• GTHFCNM said:

And one more thing we must notice here, harsh competition has led to the level of empowerment and progress that we see today, which is a good thing. roofing contractors

• fred09red said:

I can understand the high yield short term investments, as long as the outcome has all the best intentions. And I can see how plan looks right here from a national point of view and I can tell you. There is nothing out there that can be achieved without a small risk, never.

• recurvebows said:

I love hearing you on Good Food and appreciated your piece in a recent LA Times about paying for your parent's house. sanibel fishing charters

• Ashley said:

Hi my loved one! I want to say that this post is amazing, nice written and come with almost all important infos.

• recurvebows said:

It's that time of year when they are available. I've never found it at a farmers market in so cal but did see it up in Seattle once. hundehaftpflichtberater.com

• Birkholz said:

Don't know why but really miss it on my subscribe and save order. But he proposes additional "power laws", somehow independent of other, mathematical, laws, in keeping with the assumption of a law-based nature. Only get this product if your cat is not picky Milk Thistle Grape Seed Extract It doesn't irritate their skin or anything, and their hair smells nice afterward. this book is very short n easy to read. I recently went on vacation and rented a cheaper bike trailer for long rides to the beach. I started gathering information and was shocked to learn all the alternative and healthy ways not to get Cancer of disease. Milk Thistle Bph <a href="http://www.nacionhumana.org” target=”_blank”>www.nacionhumana.org Milk Thistle And Hepatitis C read more…

• Koop said:

Within two uses the wrap started leaking rice from the poorly constructed seams. I bought this protector so I could take showers while I was bandaged after foot surgery, this saved the day, I didn't know such an item existed and am very pleased with the product. I have been buying these cartridges for several years, 4 or 5, and they have performed well and as expected. Manual For Rca Clock Radio Cd Player The manufacturers instructions say it should last 15 days with 2 cats. I read "Stoner" because it was "the best book nobody ever read". However, it must be disassembled for storage. Portable Cd Player Baby <a href="http://www.a-pathetic.net” target=”_blank”>www.a-pathetic.net How To Turn On Ematic Mp3 Player visit site

• kylamarquez said:

After examine a number of of the weblog posts on your web site now, and I actually like your method of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark web site listing and will probably be checking back soon. Pls check out my web site as nicely and let me know what you think. villas to rent thailand at http://www.asian-retreats.com/. Thanks :)