Algebra.

Via Flickr by albastrica mititica

Algebra was responsible for the first F I ever got.

While I was never a straight-A student, I wasn’t a screw-up either. But tell that to Mexican-immigrant parents who dropped out of school after first grade and took pride in seeing their offspring get the education they never had. I’ll never forget that dreadful parent-teacher conference after that seventh grade F, or the silence in our minivan on the way home. There was no congratulatory feast at Shakey’s Pizza that night.

I’ve never passed algebra. In high school pre-algebra, I weaseled my way to a C by teaching my teacher how to play “Angel Baby” on the acoustic guitar. Geometry came next, and I passed with no trouble. In my senior year. my problem with algebra was shared by many other students and posed a threat to the record of my “California Distinguished” high school. So the administrators decided to count Accounting 1 as an algebra equivalent. I passed that with a B+.

When I entered Pasadena City College, in the hope of transferring to a four-year institution, the placement exam put me two classes below the California transfer requirement class of Statistics 50. I wasn’t the only one with this problem; 80 percent of my fellow incoming students also place into below-college-level math, according PCC’s research office.

Four and half years later, I still haven’t passed. OK, let me be honest – I failed algebra seven times. I started to question my character, my brain, my capabilities, and even my values. How was I able to write a cover story for Saveur magazine in 2011 but unable to pass a class that involved mixing numbers with letters?

Ready to break down in desperation, I made an appointment with my academic counselor. He pointed me to an experimental class called “Exploring Topics in Mathematics.” It promised to jumpstart me into Statistics 50—into the next-to-last class I’d need to complete in order to transfer. I immediately enrolled.

The class teacher was Professor Jay Cho, a slender, soft-spoken 41-year-old from Korea who had received his Masters in mathematics from UC Irvine. “You can just call me Cho for short, or, as some of my past students called me, notorious C-H-O,” he told us. Cho taught us how to complete Linear Equation problems by relating it to blood alcohol levels when you drink and drive. He used the almost-daily tardiness of the Goth girl to teach us relative frequency approximation of probability. It was a modern-day version of Stand and Deliver.

Twenty of the 35 of us passed the class. That was a far higher rate than normal for the level of math we were being taught.

But my story doesn’t end there. I still had to get through Statistics 50, also taught by Cho. And how did that go?

I failed. Cho felt I just hadn’t devoted enough time to studying. I wish the explanation were that simple.

According to the current regulations of California, I am ineligible for college, and I shouldn’t even have a high school diploma. The thinking in such policymaking is that 1) despite all the failed attempts, all of us who fail algebra are secretly able to pass it, if we just push ourselves a little harder. And 2) that higher education would be wasted on someone who can’t pass algebra.

But are those assumptions valid? I don’t think an inability to solve quadratic equations should bring me or so many of my classmates to the brink of high-school dropout status.

Now I’ve finally dropped out, and I’m supporting myself through writing. Many students who are jobless and trying to get a college education after 20 years out of school are likewise stymied by math. I would love to learn more about art, philosophy, literature, and history in a college setting. But math requirements will prevent that.

Should they?

Javier Cabral is responsible for TheGlutster.com (formerly Teenage Glutster), a food, booze, music, and general desmadre blog. He is an in-house writer for Sonic Trace KCRW and freelances for Saveur Magazine and Grub Street LA. He wrote this for Zocalo Public Square.

• PatRick said:

The previous two commenters don't seem to understand what Cabral is saying. The statement that Cabral doesn't support having any standards at all is laughable if it weren't meant with all seriousness. It's at best a misunderstanding of Cabral's statement and at worst a willful twisting of it. Cabral is asking why his seeming inability to pass algebra should bar him from pursuing studies in other fields, unrelated to mathematics. While you, Mazer101, must get a kick out of mocking other people's inabilities, I can't help but think that you entirely miss the point that Cabral is making, namely that he is asking why his lack of aptitude in algebra would make him ineligible to receive ANY type of college degree. It's a better question than you're giving him credit for, and it makes both of you look quite ridiculous to assert that Cabral is either lazy or lacking in values for not being able to pass algebra. As the fact that he is currently self-employed and has indeed found ways of getting outside this issue so clearly demonstrate, he is neither lazy nor without values. Moreover, you address neither of his questions that he asks in this article. You mock the first one and ignore the second one.

• floridagirl said:

I too have been plagued by college algebra, I've failed (or had to drop before I failed) I think 5 times now, my degree is in criminology. It's the last class I need to get my BSAS lol. Well our governor in Florida stated that they are changing some requirements (like math) for certain degrees. I also think it's silly to not allow someone to further their education if they lack ability in one area. I received my Assoicate's Degree, graduating with honors due to my high GPA but once I transferred into a university my many F's in this stupid class have dropped it down and ruined all of my hard work. Atleast here, we have many professors from other countries which makes learning it that much harder. Hang in there, some day when they change the requirements, I'm sure more people will pursue high education. I also excel in writing.

• Johnny Mills said:

Seems like if you understand the concepts, that's literacy. If you can't solve the problems well, don't get a job involving math. Not sure why someone should be punished or have their options further limited if they have other talents…

• Jeffrey said:

Don't give up Nick, think out of the box. Go to a college that does not have as much of a higher math requirement, specifically out of state. (example- I live in Massachusetts where the math standards are difficult but went to a community college, where they have extra support for math, where tutoring is available and cheaper) I also have an LD, however, I went to a community college and passed Accounting 101, 102, which had 4 credit labs with a B and an A, and were not easy because of the courses were transfer classes to a university.

I also barely passed with a C a Business Financial Math Class that had stats, algebra, and financial functions in it. In Massachusetts there are more requirements for math that the 11 credits that I passed. Therefore, I transferred to a college that had a business program that did not require as much math that this. Nick, I would try to go to a local Community College and try to pass Algebra, with some private tutoring which is very cheap. Good Luck.

• Kristine Hood said:

I am NOW a retired Licensed Masters Social Worker, Certified Social Worker and a member of the Academy of Certified Social Workers. I have additional certifications in School Social Work, and Medical Social Work (where I spent MOST of my working career). I am also a published author on the subject of Tourette's Syndrome. I had the above problems, with very little parental and academic support from school staff. While in GRADUATE SCHOOL, I took "School Testing". We tested each other and my fellow student quickly and correctly diagnosed me with "Discalcula". A learning disability. I finally understood that hard work CANNOT overcome certain brain processing problems without skilled teaching. The relief was astounding, and with skilled professional support I was able to learn enough Algebra when applied to my subject matter for a required Research and Statistics Class. Please go to the Special Education Department at your university and ask for testing and professional followup. Someone there will UNDERSTAND and NOT BLAME. The world NEEDS your talents. Don't let this stop you. I used my significant RIGHT BRAIN superiority to help thousands of people in my career. You can, too.

• James said:

Javiar's story is not at all unique and I believe it represents a fundamental problem with our educational system as a whole. The last two decades have really put an emphasis in higher math skills in order to produce more STEM college bound graduates. The problem with this approach is that while learning higher math(meaning higher math beyond arithmetic) is that a certain percentage of students have learning disabilities which inhibit the long term retention and understanding of certain math courses such as Algebra and Statistics.

People with learning disabilities are not at all lazy or stupid, but have a disability which prevents them from doing certain things such as understanding higher applications of math. What our educational system should be doing is to make sure these students do not fall through the cracks and end up as high school or college drop outs. If a person has a documented learning disability and traditional methods of assistance such as providing extra time on tests in a private area does not result in helping the learning disabled student to successfully complete a math class, then it would seem reasonable that students such as Javier should be permitted some sort of waiver for the math requirement.

Unless the student is majoring in math, engineering, or any science related major, providing such a waiver would make the most sense in order to properly accommodate the learning disabled.

Otherwise, our educational system is part of the problem and by essentially forcing the learning disabled out of school because they couldn't pass Algebra/Statistics/Calculus, etc is creating the problem of allowing what are otherwise talented and intelligent people to drop out and end up with low paying jobs and student loans that they these students may not ever be able to pay back.

I knew someone, an older student who like Javiar had the same problem with math. As a undergraduate student in her 50's, she petitioned her school's university to take Algebra outside of her college because she had failed this class 5 times. She ended up paying someone to complete the Algebra class which while cheating, allowed her to transfer the credits to her university and finally receive a degree.

Students like the person I just described are those who have to resort to unconventional means to combat this problem that our educational system needs to address. My friend, who was Business major went out to become a very successful in her field of accounting, never using the Algebra which haunted her throughout her college career.

It's time that our colleges, universities, and K-12 system make a fundamental change to education away from the "one size fits all" approach and create a system that is more realistic which would guide those whose strengths are not in math, towards other fields that do not require such high math skills. Not everyone is cut out to be a doctor, scientist, or engineer. Some of us become business people like my friend who can be very successful without having to learn Algebra/Calculus, and Statistics. We need as a society to be more aware of how our schools are disenfranchising the learning disabled in order to improve this societal problem.

Lastly I will ask this question to anyone who disagrees. If students were required to take a semester of some sort of organized sport such as running or volleyball, would it be fair to not allow someone who is paraplegic an alternative to complete their degree problem? Doing otherwise doesn't make much sense, but that is exactly what our high schools, colleges, and universities are doing to the learning disabled!

• kjacksonemti said:

As a fellow Higher Math Cripple, I definitely feel the author's pain.

Both my parents were teachers. When a student they felt was other wise intelligent failed at something they considered a simple subject (and to teachers, they're all simple subjects) then that student was just 'undermotivated'. So when I started completely and utterly bombing algebra in 7th grade, they just figured the problem was laziness. I was first encouraged, then threatened, then punished and finally herded into a little homemade cubicle constructed out of two dressers and a desk. Every weeknight I was put in there because I just wasn't "able to concentrate". Of course, making my studying conditions easier for me to 'concentrate' in was basically just educatorese for 'lock the lazy ass in a dungeon until he gets motivated enough to pass'. Not only did I still fail to understand algebra, but I began to hate it like cancer.

And it only got worse from there.

So High School rolls around and I'm still unable to understand algebra. My high school math teacher? The most patient human being ever. Seriously. Mrs. Whittington was a saint. because she and my parents were close friends, I spent hours each week being personally tutored by the very woman whose class I took every day. Did it help? Not one single iota. My teacher never wanted to admit that a person couldn't be taught algebra, but at least she didn't assume that my problems with the subject were due to laziness. Unfortunately, my parents and just about everybody else in the education industry (yes, it's an industry) disagreed.

It always amazed me that the standard response on the part of teachers when confronted by a student who fails abominably at mathematics generally involves words like 'unmotivated' and 'underachiever'. And that's when they're feeling diplomatic. But nobody seems to address the fact that we have millions of children in this country who, despite the best and worst efforts of virtually every adult around them, have never and will never grasp the finer points of algebra or any other advanced form of math. Are they all lazy and stupid? Am I? I'm an EMT-Intermediate with 17 years of field experience and I'm currently taking Paramedic classes. Does anybody here have any idea how complicated the human heart is? I do. I might not be the brightest crayon in the box, but if I can wrap my head around things like 3rd degree blocks, intrinsic firing rates and the effects of norepinephrine and acetylcholine, then I'm probably not stupid. Certainly not so stupid that my intelligence is a fundamental blockade to my understanding of algebra. And I'm pretty sure I didn't intentionally annihilate my chances at a college degree by failing at math out of a desire to spite my parents. I certainly didn't enjoy years of dreading the prospect of any and all forms of math every single day during the school year.

Something, somewhere in our educational system is badly broken. I have no idea what or where it is, but it's definitely not working properly if a significant portion of students flunk algebra every year. And what makes it worse is the attitude on the part of educators that blaming the students is the answer. The students want to pass more than the teachers want them to, I assure you.

• For all and sundry said:

Your blog is a great one. What really impresses me is that you are correctly mentioned that there are thousands of tools that are available to create a website or launch one but what matters is that you fit the fat one, the one that gives you all that is actually needed.

• George Hilton said:

There are two categories of students in this world. One are those who are very sharp and quick learning in Math and English. In the other category some lazy students are included who always hide themselves from difficult subjects. You may be one of them who is hating algebra. Now you can get help from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCSEQ7f_Vfw video which is serving you to learn any kind of knowledge and inspiring you towards education.

• kjacksonemti said:

I don't mean to be insulting here and I mean this in the least damaging way possible, but you are an asshole.

People who have problems with higher math aren't lazy any more than dyslexics are. People who have problems with higher math need help, not criticism. And this is precisely the problem with the state of education in America. Had I received some sort of individual help from somebody who understood that my brain just doesn't work like others… had my parents, teachers both, understood that not all students can be shoved into an identical mold and later kicked out like assembly line automatons… had anybody involved with my education recognized that I was working as hard as possible instead of just sitting on my ass out of sloth or spite, I might have ended up in a different place than I am currently: trying to figure out algebra on my own terms so I can pass Paramedic and not be a lethal threat to my patients in the process.

The problem here is not the lazy student who habitually avoids a difficult subject. The problem here is the lazy educator who is quite happy blaming children for not succeeding in an assembly line educational system.

• James said:

George Hilton,

"There are two categories of students in this world. One are those who are very sharp and quick learning in Math and English. In the other category some lazy students are included who always hide themselves from difficult subjects. "

You sir live in an imaginary black and white world. Clearly we live in a world where there are many types of students. Yes some are lazy, some are motivated, and some are there because their parents essentially told them that they had to go to school "or else." Yet what you fail to grasp is that there is a type of student that has disabilities that prevent him or her from fully grasping a certain subjects such as what the author of this article describes. Students with math disabilities are the farthest thing from being lazy.

"You may be one of them who is hating algebra."

This is not an issue of hating algebra, unfortunately students with learning disabilities with respect to math and language are simply unable to fully grasp many of the concepts required to engage the subject matter. Again, these students with disabilities are not lazy/unmotivated people. Often what they lack in the capacity to fully grasp in math, they excel in other areas of their academic life.

Don't be so quick to judge and stereotype people and realize that the world is not a black and white, two dimensional place.

• Tanveer Moundy said:

Different people remember their day when they were students and have some problems in math which really depressed them. Algebra was the most hated in this regard. You describe how to build students interest towards algebra and math. editing paragraphs paragraph editing is also stand with you to help your kids as well as make perfection in their educational concepts.

• Carl said:

Math teaches you how to think.

If you are not passing you are not thinking. It is not mixing up numbers and letters. It is understanding, and using, concepts through definitions, axioms and theorems.

• Dina said:

It's a good thing for you that your high school and college didn't put the same requirements for creative writing as they do for algebra, or you'd be considered one of those you claim "doesn't have any standards at all" because of your "subpar" abilities in that area. My son is a genius at creative writing and has been since he was 5 years old. He would write full scripts and scenarios, but can't grasp algebra. He has always been considered a gifted child. Apparently his brain is more advanced in one area than another, as is yours. But for some reason whoever created the high school and college standards that only appreciate Algebraic abilities, didn't have the intelligence to realize that not all professions require Algebraic knowledge, and not all geniuses have that knowledge as well. It doesn't mean they are lazy or disabled. It just means that they are more talented in one area than another. Just like most people are more physically adept in one area than others.

• AimlessInLA said:

But here's the thing–Javier did say he passed geometry, though what he means by "passed" isn't entirely clear. For some reason many high school students who struggle with pre-algebra and algebra manage to do fairly well in geometry. It was so in my case, though I don't know why that was. It's been a very long time, but as well as I can recall, the handful of axioms and all the theorems we had to work through all seemed to hang together a lot more cohesively than the content of my first year algebra had–both times I had taken that! I had to work for that 'B' in geometry, but throughout the process I always understood exactly what I was trying to accomplish in a way that hadn't been true for any other kind of math.

Years after college and grad school, I found an old college algebra text that had belonged to my father. The striking difference in contrast to a first-year high school textbook was that it emphasized proofs a great deal more; it was like geometry, only with partly abstract equations rather than diagrams of lines, circles, and angles. In some ways, it now seemed even easier than geometry, because with algebra you usually don't have to keep switching back and forth between a diagram and an explanation. By no means have I mastered everything in my dad's algebra book, but I have studied enough of it to change my whole perception of the subject. I now enjoy picking at mathematical puzzles and often find I can solve them; ditto for following the proofs of standard area and volume formulas, or even deriving them as I did for the sphere without having ever heard of Cavalieri's Principle. (The chapters on mathematical induction and series in my dad's book were instrumental here.)

So what, exactly, had been my problem with algebra, and every other type of math I'd had since the third grade? My perception is that the algebra curriculum placed greater emphasis on solving *instances*, or problems, while in geometry it was more about the underlying principles. In hindsight I'm almost certainly wrong in this view and I'm sure my algebra and pre-algebra teachers tried to teach it to me in the same way that geometry is taught. But for whatever reason I just didn't grasp that part of it, and there was no help for me back then, because even I wouldn't have been able to explain why I was having so much trouble with the topic..

• Rosemary said:

There are many reasons why a person may not be able to understand mathematical concepts. While I do not have dyscalculia I do have the inability to process algebraic formulas. After taking algebra 3 times with 3 different teachers, in-person tutors and paying for online tutors I was about ready to quit college and give up. Instead I went to see a neuropsychologist and had specific testing done to find out why I could pass every other class but that one. Turns out a brain injury from when I was younger caused permanent damage to the area of my brain that processes spacial memory. No one will every be able to teach it to me and no amount of applying myself will help. With the permission from the head of the psychology department I was able to get into statistics with out taking algebra and the college district is accepting that class as my math credit to complete my degrees in sociology and psychology. Its very frustrating to keep taking the same class with no results! Not only was it a waist of time for me but an added expense as well. Just because someone cannot complete algebra formulas does not mean that they do not understand math and it certainly should never hold someone back from continued education.

• Jay said:

If the student was lazy, he would not be able to do well in any of the other classes. Me personally, I did well in all of my college courses except for my advanced Algebra class. I passed Algebra 2 in high school, but when I tested for placement in CSU college, I was placed in a remedial based math class. I passed one part and failed the second one which is the last class before college level. In my case, I did well throughout the whole semester until the final exam and went from a 83% TO A 65%. It has nothing to do with a student being lazy or not putting in enough effort. Some students just don't have the same learning abilities in Math as they do in others.

• drains said:

really educational blog – learn something new every day by reading blogs like this

• http://www.youtube.Com/ said:

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I

find this topic to be really something that I think I would never understand.

It seems too complex and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!

• Ruben said:

It seems impossible but maybe so. If you are really good and confident at the subject you are it might be that your just bad at math. The mind is a curious thing and works so many ways. See your just really not a math person. All the subjects you just posted proves it. Their is always that one subject someone is really not good at. But their are many jobs for you to get other than your looking for. For example like a Author or a Geologist or maybe a famous Speech Political writer. The world is your oyster and trust me there are many jobs that do not need math.

• Jimmy said:

Bucks County Community College in PA, NYU (Gallatin) in NY, Harvard Extension School, University Of Ottawa KS are ALL undergraduate degree programmes in the US that DO NOT REQUIRE MATH for undergraduate degree conferral, and all except NYU have online degree completion options. Info is current as of February 2014.

• chatroulette said:

Super post, bon blog j'adore ! merci

• chat en ligne said:

C'est vraiment super que vous publiez des articles tel que celui ci et très bon site !

• chatroulette mobile said:

c'est exactement l'article que je cherchais merci !

• Rencontres gratuites said:

Bravo pour votre blog et bonne continuation !

• dial cam said:

Bonjour !
    Votre blog est top et merci de publier des articles aussi intéressant !

• tchat adultes said:

Super article j'adore !

• cam hot said:

Très bonne article je recommande votre blog !

• dial hot said:

Bonsoir, merci beaucoup de faire tourner des articles aussi passionnant que celui-ci !

• live show coquin said:

Félicitation pour votre site et bonne continuation !

• mims23 said:

Unfortunately, not only might a student have dyscalculia, but it could well be an inherited trait. In my case, my father, I, & my son have all been stymied by our shared inability to learn algebra. My father (born in 1911) dropped out of school after 8th grade, unable to stand the humiliation of devolving from a child who'd skipped 2nd grade to one who couldn't apparently function at normal levels, due to algebra failure. He ultimately retired from a management position in those simpler times. I (born in 1946), struggled through the required College Algebra to a then-acceptable grade of D, graduating cum laude with a BA in English. I became a teacher & later held professional positions in state government. I am a member of MENSA, scored in the 92nd percentile on the verbal part of the GRE, & am quite capable in non-mathematical fields. My son (born in 1985) has a slew of learning disabilities but through diligent effort forged his way past all of them except dyscalculia. With today's higher math requirements, he was never able to get beyond remedial college algebra classes, earning a terminal AA degree in Network Administration (this major accepted business math as the required math class.) Actress-model Brooke Shields (born in 1965) got mucho publicity in the '80's when she graduated from Princeton without being required to take any college math at all. I believe that in the UK & many other European countries, college students focus on their majors & do not have to take core curricula unrelated to their main field of study – why does the US insist that all comers must be math -proficient or be forever barred from four year, liberal arts degrees?

• math tuition said:

I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!!
    I certainly loved every little bit of it. I have got you bookmarked to
    look at new things you post…

• neal said:

It is possible to get a degree without Algebra by taking Liberal Arts Math. If the school you are in doesn't offer it, find a different one. If worst come to worst, get a non-accredited BA and then transfer into an accredited MA that doesn't require math. I personally know several people who have gone this route. There is a way around the math.

• Sofa Set said:

hello!,I love your writing so much! percentage we keep up a correspondence extra about your post on AOL? I require an expert in this area to unravel my problem. Maybe that is you! Taking a look forward to see you.

• zainab said:

yeah?

• zainab said:

kkjk

• Amber said:

To those of you who "get" Algebra- congratulations! While I have excelled in every other class, college Algebra is getting the best of me. It's not for lack of trying… countless hours and dollars spent on self-help books and private tutors- to no avail. More than anything, I WANT to be able to understand what I'm doing, but understanding escapes me. If Algebra is such a basic, elementary subject to master, then perhaps you would be so kind as to invest your time and seemingly superior mind to help someone like myself. No? I didn't think so. Those of you who have never struggled to grasp Algebraic concepts have most likely never known the feelings of hopelessness and extreme frustration that make up the personal hell I'm living in right now. You may be a mathematical genius, but THAT is one thing you will never understand. Based on your condescending tone, you must be a fine piece of work…

• faizaa said:

lklkl;kk

• Jane said:

Ruben, you said that "there are many jobs that do not need math". That is true BUT…
    the school system REQUIRES all sorts of math to get any advanced degrees. The school system REQUIRES high school algebra 1 and 2 and trigonometry, even if you plan to major in English in college!

I have interviewed two dozen professional scientists and engineers who were gainfully employed in the field of their studies, and only one of them admitted that he used all the math he was required to study to earn his degree. The others used charts, graphs, computer programs, calculators, and slide rules to figure out exact numbers when needed.

The requirement for math is a hoax! It is a way to keep us in school longer and a way for the schools and tutors to make more money. You might as well require everyone to design, build and maintain their own car and engine before they are allowed to drive one.

• Jane said:

Dear Mazer101:

We hope that someday you will be up against a situation in which your continued survival depends on your ability to develop a skill which you are completely unable to grasp, because that is the situation which Mr. Cabral describes.
    It is fine that mathematics and calculus and differential equations and all the rest are required for majors in science and engineering programs' It is not fine when they are required to even get into college in the first place, especially for liberal arts and humanities which are not based on mathematics. It is very bad when today college degrees are required for jobs that many of us could have done straight out of junior high.
    It used to be that the few people who got through the eight grades in the little one room school house took a couple of years at a teacher's college and turned around and taught the same little one room school house themselves. Today you are required to have a degree to push a broom. Today you are required to have a degree in Early Childhood Education to babysit infants and toddlers!

Just as people's bodies are greatly varied in size, shape, and strengths, so too are our minds. Just because you could do algebra when you were six years old does not automatically exclude everyone else of a more normal intelligence from the right to earning a relevant degree and earning a living.

Have you ever tried to live on a minimum wage job? It is not possible without some real material assistance. 85% of the people who receive food stamps and other aid are employed.
    Rather than belittling someone who could not learn arithmetic or math or algebra, how about finding effective ways to help them learn, or better yet, how about making our requirements for non science and non engineering degrees more realistic and humane?
    I bet you do not do your own plumbing repairs. I bet you don't tune up your own car. I bet you do not clean your own heating ducts and chimneys each year. You let professionals with the proper equipment do those jobs. Why should they be required to pass algebra? Why should they be required to have a BA in anything at all?

• Avani said:

Very difference one look is here about the writing concerning issue. custom dissertation That is really very handful to me and as a author I am suggest to all of your to visit this help writing a research paper that help you to get more idea about the writing service.

• tita said:

me 2 my first c d and f was in algebra 1 hon but im in middle school so i still have a chance i guess

• Healthy Drinks said:

fantastic points altogether, you simply received a new reader. What may you suggest about your put up that you made some days ago? Any sure?

• debi said:

Great statements. I can do basic math easily in most cases.. but not without effort. basic algebra also .. But once i get into difficult equations and higher stats.. Im a goner!!! Im a musical genius and writer. I also have a high ability for reason…philosophy… But I think the part of my brain with numbers takes extreme effort to computate results. Im in college at age 50 and am in a stats class.. Its difficult and killing me….

• Penelope said:

Javier, you may not be able to get into a public university in California, but you should look at private options as private colleges can be more flexible in terms of entrance requirements and general education requirements. Before you instantly think that this would be too expensive, most colleges offer generous financial aid packages. Applicants who are first-generation Latino college students are in fact heavily recruited by private colleges since they add to campus diversity. You could also look into being tested for a learning disability as some other commenters have described. If you are diagnosed with a learning disability you fall under the Americans with Disabilities Act and universities must legally accommodate your documented disability.

• It's me! said:

I have a similar problem. I am a college sophomore and I tested into the Intermediate Algebra class which is only a prerequisite for college level algebra. I have taken that very course twice and missed the required score by just a few points each time. I am an English major and I'm finishing my German minor and I cannot pass math no matter how much time I focus on it. I've studied formulas, done practice exams, and asked my peers for help and nothing helps me to pass the tests.
    Apparently, I'm smart enough in my German and English courses to be a whole semester ahead of other students my age, but I can't get the basic math credit. I can't do basic math in my head without flipping it all around. I don't retain formulas long enough to match them to test problems. Am I stupid? No, I'm not stupid. I can write all kinds of essays and I can do it in two languages. I've explored all kinds of things in my field of study, but I can't get a math credit to graduate college. What's sad is that a lot of people seem to think that people like me shouldn't be in college at all because we aren't "smart" enough for it.

• Nowhere, Idaho said:

I feel your pain, man.
    After more than 20 years of being an excellent bookkeeper, I 'attempted' to get a BA in Business. I failed, or dropped to avoid failing, College Algebra more than five times (I stopped keeping track).
    My doctor actually suggested I talk to the school's disability services people about testing for dyscalculia. They provided no testing for it, and looked at me like I was a lunatic.
    Honestly, I think they are trained, at least at this college, to refuse medical exemptions whenever possible as it would reduce the amount of money they would make on tuition and books!

• Jenny said:

We guarantee timely delivery. When you place an order at our website and tell us your deadline, you won’t even have to think about the paper. Click for more info book reports online

• Asha Barlock said:

Remarkably descriptive report, I liked that quite a bit. Will there be a portion two?

• Ebony wolf said:

Got a A+ in pre algebra but algebra is illogical
    “It’s logical” they say…bull a negative with a even
    Exponent is positive odd is negative so it goes from
    + to – every time. I hate the class and I was laughing
    My tail off because the teacher sounded and looked
    Like a stereotypical math teacher you would see in a movie…
    That ***** gave us homework on the first day…
    She gave us a worksheet that covers 2 days the day
    After the big EOC standard test…now that is not right!

• Guest said:

I just failed my algebra class at my Community College and It gives me more stress than I have ever had in my life. I am now going to have someone do it for me online and pay them. I cannot take the psychological problems it gives me anymore. I honestly tried my heart out to understand that subject, and understood it fine, but after each test, I failed them miserably… This is the only class I have ever failed. It is the only class that has ever given me thoughts of depression, and suicide as well. The pain cannot be tolerated any longer, for I will now resort to something that will bring me shame within my heart. : (

• Santo Ricketson said:

Hi there mates, its enormous article regarding educationand completely defined, keep it up all the time.|

• Linnie said:

Incredible quest there. What occurred after? Thanks!

Also visit my page: Tapped Out hack download (Linnie)

• usaha rumahan said:

how aday maybe i can understand

• Algebra Sucks 101 said:

Algebra seems to do more harm than good for most people when they get to algebra. Algebra makes no sense at all, and you don’t get to ask when, what, and why questions.

I figured out a way to do an algebra problem another way and got the same answer as my instructor, and do you know what grade I got for getting the answer correct? A big fat “F” lowering my GPA. Is math/algebra another religion? A follow, don’t question institutional society of know-it-none pompous jerks? Short story long, this shit ruined my life and set in depressions that still effect me to this day. I barely use addition and subtraction in my day to day life, yet people keep lying to us saying algebra is everywhere. Elephantshit!! We are not all ment to be MATH masters, or Doctors.

May be I had the wrong teachers….

• Jazz said:

Nice post,If you need online math tutor to solve your algebra problem then you can get them at :http://www.collegealgebrahelpfree.com/

• Elmos said:

Believe me, maths has nothing related to thinking. Math is just memorizing laws and solutions. I am doing very bad at math and my GPA was above 3.6 before I failed math and got depressed which made my whole GPA go under 3.0 now. Now I am with a credit for maths of 0 which is okay considering my GPA is going up again near 3 XP . I just need to take maths in a summer course. That is my plan now. The whole rubbish about math is the right way to think won't go by me. I passed statistics with ease! It is maths which I think is illogical and utter stupidity. My major does not involve maths, SO WHY AM I STUDYING IT? I did stat because I might use it in life but maths??? Because some losers who wasted their lives on studying maths realized that it has no other practical use other than making college harder and more difficult. So they said why not ruin their lives?! Yeah I had stupid teachers who refuse to re-explain examples and even make fun of my questions! They are stupid people who think that we care about maths, we don't. I will hopefully get a D and burn my calculator afterwards!

• T. Phillips said:

I am currently trying to get by Bachelor's degree in Business Administration. I graduated from my associate's program with honors. I have just been inducted into the National Honor Society and have upheld a 4.0 through my Bachelor's program……up until now, anyway. I still need to pass College Algebra and Statistics…….which, of course, I have put off as long as I could! I don't think of myself as stupid just because my brain doesn't process Algebra; I seem to excel at all other subjects. My Algebra teacher can't spell, but she can graph lines like a champ! I find it ridiculous that you would get cheated out of a college education just because you can't do Algebra. I think California seriously needs to reconsider their regulations! Can you take classes online from another state? Best of luck to you! Don't give up!

• Traci said:

I feel all this pain I have been out of school and want to go back…I was only required in High School to have two maths So I went with math I and 2 after failing algebra ,. Now trying to go back to school after a long time..I am lost…and can find zero help. I really need to start over like all the way back to fractions…It is sad..because I think schools should be about the job….training you exactly all you will do…funny In the career I want you program the computer to do the doses ….never will there be a time you have to do it in a math problem…just code it in and the computer does it…..and if the computer is down you are not doing it anyway…So yea People would be so much better at their jobs if they could train In their jobs. not crazy math problems you never use or see again.

• Qmobile Price in Pak said:

Education is a fundamental human right and a major driver of human and economic development. The power of education and paper writing concept help us a lot to build-up more our society and life.

QMobile Noir A750 Price in Pakistan

• ejmr said:

You are an extremely ignorant person. You obviously have never dealt with many people who have learning issues. For me trying to learn math is like banging my head against a brick wall, I'm never going to get through it. I have spent countless hours trying to do math, with no success. I have been tutored by countless people, gone to reviews and study groups with absolutely no success. No matter what I do I cannot get through math. Seriously George, you obviously have no place to say anything. People are not indestructible, some people including myself work so incredibly hard with no success. It is a very discouraging problem, seriously I'm embarrassed for you.

• Algebra Sucks 101 said:

We don’t start out in this world hating anything, so if you hate mathmatics you may have been scarred by your inability to learn it fast enough. But look at it in this manner. Would you be held back in your education goals if you couldn’t run a mile, paint a Mins Lisa? Someone needs to check if anyone in their field can do a simple algebra problem. Like say a dentist, doctor, or attorney. I can guarantee they will have issues with it because their current career doesn’t demand they need to use it on a day-to-day basis. We need better teachers or something.

• Jazz Lee said:

W aah its an great post,
    Get online algebra tutor to solve your algebra problem . For more detail reach at :http://www.collegealgebrahelpfree.com/

• Derrick Stevens said:

I am up a 2:20am thinking about the fact that I dropped out because I failed algebra three times. It was depressing and frustrating. I studied on vacation, met with friends and tutors etc… But when exam time came around I’d bomb every time. Now here I am 49 without my degree working and being passed over because I have no degree, which I attribute to algebra 100%…its a tough thing, unfortunately.

• Tess said:

I totally agree! You're so smart! Good for you! Not every brain is a great at math. Great confidence vote for those who don't get it! VERY condescending! Not a good comment, get off the blog. I can write anything, I can tell you history, I can challenge my co-workers, and tell the IT dept. what the problem is. However, I don't get algebra… so take your BIG self, and your BIG smarts and FO! I think more than you do on a daily basis, Mr. Thinking! Now go throw a fit to your mommy and daddy, for not buying you that X-box game this week, and enjoy your basement accommodations!

• algebra tutor said:

Thanks for providing the useful information about algebra.Now you can find online algebra tutor to solve your problem with a proper way. For more details you may reach at : http://collegealgebrahelpfree.com/ .

• Margie said:

Algebra, solving for X, inequalities, simplifying…..is of the devil and drives some people to the brink of insanity. I know, I am there. I have completed every class required for my Bachelor's Degree, and I am walking away at about $50,000. in student loans, and NO DEGREE!! My mind will NOT learn it nor remember it long enough to pass a test. It is confusing…one problem, you subtract or add, the next one, you divide…and they look the same!! Additive inverse, and crap like that…..For the rest of my life, I will make monthly payments to the dept of education to pay off my loans, and will remember each and every due date of just how stupid my brain is…..and what a failure I am…..

• Guest said:

Algebra certainly does make perfect sense – but that doesn't mean everybody's brain is capable of reasoning with that particular type of sense. What wouldn't make sense however, are certain academic degree programs possibly requiring algebra coursework that doesn't even apply to the professional field/trade of the degree; or employers in such professional fields/trades possibly requiring academic degrees that mandate some superfluous and irrelevant training in math. IF either of these scenarios are currently happening, then this certainly does need to change.

By the way, when applying for jobs or making professional network contacts, you might wish to be careful about saying so many of the things in the prior posts here – like that you CAN'T do math, that your mind will NOT learn it, that you SIMPLY CANNOT do it, etc. That kind of language (even if correct) is nearly always interpreted and considered as very negative, and defeatist. Such attitudes will usually and appropriately turn off employers and professional contacts immediately (unless the field in question is full of overly-sympathetic and resentful math haters).

Also, try to remember that even if you weren't a lazy or inattentive student, there ARE at least as many failing math students out there who genuinely are lazy and/or inattentive. The problem for the educator is being able to distinguish the difference, which as you can imagine, is much more difficult than just hearing all the usual and endless excuses. It is extremely unfortunate if many mentally-disabled students are being inadvertently included with the lazy ones, just because they present and look exactly identical to each other.

• credit monitoring said:

Thanks for the auspicious writeup. It in truth used

to be a amusement account it. Glance complex to more

added agreeable from you! However, how could we

keep up a correspondence?

• Britt said:

I absolutely love your blog and find nearly all of your post’s to be what precisely I’m looking for.

can you offer guest writers to write content for you personally?
    I wouldn’t mind writing a post or elaborating on some of the subjects you
    write in relation to here. Again, awesome site!

Feel free to visit my site :: clash of clans cheat download (Britt)

• mazda said:

very good post very inspiring

• me. said:

literally eat a dick you scum sucking cunt monkey

• Samsung Price said:

hahah! same like Biology Frog Diagram ruin my chances to become an enginer. :D

• richard said:

Javier seems to have found a way to make a living doing something which he enjoys and thinks valuable. What does it matter whether he does or doesn't ever get a college degree?

I'd like to win a Fields Medal. It would be wonderful formy self-esteem. Likewise I think it'd be wonderful if I were to be a pro surfer. Unfortunately, in both instances I lack the requisite skill.

I am not particularly convinced that having a college degree signifies much anymore. In many instances it never did. What is clear, though, and this essay clearly expresses this even if only implicitly, is obtaining a college degree is now viewed as an entitlement.

• Ariana Grande phone number said:

Fantastic goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just too great.

I really like what you have acquired here, really like what you are stating and the way in which you say it.
    You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it sensible.
    I cant wait to read far more from you. This is actually a
    great website.

• Erin Manthey said:

Ok, my thoughts: 1) Most colleges have some sort of math substitute to College Algebra like Math for Liberal Arts or a Logic course housed in the philosophy department, so the idea of algebra alone standing in the way of a college degree is a bit far fetched. Though I'm not fully aware of if the requirements in Cali are different. 2) I'm probably a little harsh here in saying this, but shouldn't a four-year degree stand for some level of knowledge of breadth of subjects, so if you can't at least pass a somewhat mathematically geared course – I'm not convinced that you are deserving. On the contrast, no one would make a similar claim about English Comp, even though several learning disabilities affect people on reading and writing directly. 3) I'm aware that the way in which math is taught is in need of improvement across the board and unfortunately people coming from the most disadvantaged groups often get the worst of it. Those disadvantages often starting very young and permeating systemically 4) I'm all for both the availability of quality jobs that don't require 4-yrs (of which some exist already) and people being empowered to study the humanities outside of the college setting. Certainly, that's where most of my knowledge obtaining on those subjects has occurred.

• Algebra Tutorial said:

Thanks for sharing this informative blog.We are offering the online math tutorials with expert tutors such that you can solve your problem with minimum effort. http://www.algebrahomeworksolver.com

• Jhon said:

If you are really good and confident at the subject you are it might be that your just bad at math. The mind is a curious thing and works so many ways. See your just really not a math person. All the subjects you just posted proves it. Their is always that one subject someone is really not good at. EDUCATIONBOARDRESULTS