zachbraffActor Zach Braff wants to raise $2 million to make a sequel to his cult hit “Garden State.”

But instead of going to Hollywood producers or a studio with his idea, the star of the TV show “Scrubs” went directly to fans on the money-raising website Kickstarter.

Cash those fans can shell out for the forthcoming flick – “Wish I Was Here” – but for which they won’t receive money in return. Only tangible gifts, such as passes to premieres, voiced messages, or,  for thousands of dollars,  a tiny part in the movie and time on the set.

It’s not the first time a Hollywood heavy-hitter has gone the online fundraising route. Producers of the TV show “Veronica Mars” launched a similar campaign, to a huge response. And it looks like fan reaction for Braff’s production has been equally robust. In a little more than 24 hours, he’s raised more than 75 percent of the total. Close to $1.7 million.

But is it fair for someone with such a high profile to compete against other people looking for project money on Kickstarter? Zach Braff joined KCRW’s Steve Chiotakis to discuss his campaign.

• Meagan said:

I wouldn't say it's unfair. People can choose who they want to give their money to. But I would be more compelled to donate if he was having trouble getting funding before creating a kickstarter. I can understand, however, if he wants freedom to do it his way with out studio pressures giving him too big of a budget and trying to make it bigger than it is, or something it's not. Garden State is a wonderful film for these very reasons, and if he's going to continue this story, it should be done right. And if people want to help him, and to feel like a part of it in some way, I say let them.

• hawaiian real estate said:

It's good to hear about Zach's participation on this. Can't wait!

• Susan said:

Of all movies that can crossover into Kickstarter territory, I think it makes sense that it's Garden State. I love supporting ideas on Kickstarter and it's always amazing when regular people reach their dreams through the support of friends and strangers who believe in them. I think it's kind of nice that it's allowing big Hollywood to become a little smaller and closer to the audience and fans they're making the movie for. Kickstarter is a great avenue for true creativity to flourish without red tape and regardless of who wants to use it, as long as there is support for the dream.

• Susan said:

Oh and shameless plug for my boyfriend's art project… on Kickstarter ;) http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/colinfreeman/

• michael said:

Yes! Finally someone writes about cortes de cabello.

• Mckinley said:

Wonderful goods from you, man. I’ve take into accout your stuff prior to and you are just too fantastic. I really like what you have bought here, certainly like what you are stating and the way through which you say it. You’re making it enjoyable and you

still take care of to stay it sensible. I can’t wait to learn far more from you. This is actually a tremendous web site.

• Spencer said:

Its not a sequel. Zach explains it pretty clearly in the video

• Muhammad said:

I almost never create comments, but I browsed a few of the comments on this page Zach Braff turns to Kickstarter to fund

• printable coupon code said:

There is definately a great deal to find out about this topic.

I really like all the points you have made.

• 23hq.com said:

I got this web site from my pal who informed me about this site and now this time I am browsing this site and reading very informative posts here.

• http://www.23hq.com/williamstcdp/story/12046980 said:

Why users still make use of to read news papers when in this

technological globe all is available on web?

• Perry Connor said:

I wouldn't call it unfair but it is kinda lame. A guy like that probably has tons of contacts and agents and all that fancy Hollywood stuff. Find money that way. Leave sites like Kickstarter for the folks who really don't have any other options.