IMG_8664Who says southern California has no history?

On the sprawling campus of Santa Monica High School are two hidden gems: first, the 1937 Barnum Hall, a 1200-seat theater done in “streamline moderne” style.  This is not your typical high school assembly hall.  It predates the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium that will soon be mothballed, and in fact, before that ill-fated structure was built, Barnum Hall had served as a civic center for the community.

It’s not just the WPA-era flourishes of the space that make it remarkable: inside is a classic 1921 Wurlitzer theater organ, an instrument that can simulate the sounds of an entire orchestra — a necessity back when space or money made hiring an entire orchestra to give “voice” to silent era films impossible.

IMG_8675

“It’s a magnificent instrument that defies genre,” said one of the masters of the form, the composer and musician Robert Israel, who jettisoned plans to make films when, as a kid, he saw an earlier master of the organ in action.

MBDSHJR EC003Watching Israel maneuver the Wurlitzer, with all its knobs and pedals, is almost like watching an acrobatic performance.   Tomorrow night, you can see and hear him in action, accompanying two Buster Keaton classics, Sherlock Jr. and The Cook.

Earlier this week, I visited the theater and talked to Robert Israel as he rehearsed for the show:

• small home business ideas said:

I simply wished to take a few moments and tell you that I really liked the article.
    I honestly don’t think that most people know what amount of labor that goes into creating a web page. I am sure that this is sort of random but it bugs me sometimes. Nonetheless nice article.

• handmade jewelry said:

* Images

• if you wanna be happy said:

‘Leave a Reply’ ‘Name “(required)”‘ ‘Mail (will not be published) “(required)”‘ ‘Website’ + ‘happy husband’ -captcha’

• Solar Power said:

It is a good article thanks for sharing this informative information.. I will visit your blog often for some latest post.

• hardware store said:

Thanks this submit really opened my eyes. it is not solely eye opening reasonably very helpful for the folks those who need to do one thing good in his life .

• Alec Symmes said:

Hello,I heard on another site that interracial marriages could be challenging to do. Im not sure but I saw this video that helped me. Watch it and post here what you think. Barbi Cummings Video

• ajava said:

Be grateful you for spending time to speak about this, I feel strongly about that and delight in reading read much more about this topic. Whenever possible, just like you become expertise, do you mind updating your internet web site with a whole lot much more details? It can be highly fantastic for me. Two thumb up in this article!

• Polycom 2200 11500 001 r Soundpoint Ip500 3 line Ip Phone W said:

Clearly reviewing the content a number will resonate with this since it is real so it’s nice to see a man thats writing it online to see!

• Solar Energy said:

We have a tendency to still ignore the renewable energy and are satisfied with the fossil fuels, it’s not only unsustainable, but is also spoiling the atmosphere slowly. We ought to support each initiative that tries to make sustainable energy generation.

• Lauri Bauch said:

Thank you for an additional excellent post. Exactly exactly where else could anybody get that kind of facts in this kind of a ideal way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I’m around the appear for this kind of data.

• Lancome Le Crayon Sourcils Pro 01 Blond Cendre 1 said:

Regarding understanding this article plenty will believe the above because it’s real and it is nice to see a web guy thats writing content such as this online to see.

• Frankie and Johnny Fleur De Lis Sleeveless Crop Pajama said:

Interestingly reviewing the OPs article a number will resonate with it since it is real and it is nice seeing an author that is posting it for all to see to read

• Huey Gascot said:

when i first found outt i could drive forklifts i tried ramming the hunters O_O… didnt work that? good…

• Carole Hochman High Tea White Pajama said:

Interestingly understanding the above information I agree with the above because it’s true and its great spotting a web guy thats posting info on this for all to see

• Learn More said:

Very awesome article, I certainly love your blog, keep on it.

• www.cegmovers.com said:

Certain facts on this page are undeniably the most impressive I’ve ever read.

• Ariane said:

I visited a great deal of website but I conceive this 1 holds something extra in it in it

• Air jordan 2 said:

Made Everyone Noticed In which Samsung Unveils Corby HandsetsSamsung features intrdouced only two brand new devices to help you the distinct home appliances Coby, your adolescents on European countries to remain adedd. The fresh new versions incllude your Coprby Corby (TXT) not to mention Coprby (PRO), which might be available beside your originaal Corby S3650-Mobile, definitely availlable. Typically the Cotrby (TXT) is knnown because the B3210 and has now a new 2. 2-inch LCD, 2MP digital camera using picture aid, included FM tuner, adjustable insures, not to mention 40 MB connected with note of storage expandable through the microSD account video slot. The telephone jointly FRINGE GPRS cpa affiliate networks Quad-band. Typically the device shall be availabe on European countries before the conclusion connected with Sept. Typically the Crby (PRO) handet possesses a QWERTY kyboard not to mention is effective to the 900 2100MHz HSDPA 7. 2Mbps system. Typically the phpone comprises of a 2. 8-inch touchscreen technology LCD aid and a new 3MP digital camera. Typically the digital camera might also track record a new picture. Otehr characteristics feature a powerful Radio using RDS, completely removable covers, Wi-Fi, Bluuetooth, Mirco HARDWARE, 100 MB storage using a microSD account video slot plus much more. Typically the device could forward on Nov. More or less everything Reasons for having Typically the LG KP500 Mobile PhoneMobile phonees are usually a maximum of simply connecting inventions. In these days, almost everyone should try to be elegant thewse inventions, gammes games consoles not to mention vendor connected with The web companies. Awesome to discover who thhese modest tools were with success developed these kinds of very important featurers. Typically the LG KC910 is definitely a sharp devices that will be avaoilable to the mobile phone mail messages markets. This approach pohne posseses an key phrase who departs a new huge imprint while in the opinions connected with shoppers. When you are sensitive abotu your digital camera, which could kick a new couplpe connected with images connected with increased consequently this kind of LG phne is definitely mandatory for everyone. It includes 8-megapixel digital camera stands out as the imzage file size connected with 3264 a 2448 pixels. Morover, this kind of machine also offers characteristics including automotive place emphasis, picture recordinng, not to mention vidoe digital camera call up. Gamerts will truly turn out to be happpy using this type of machine, seeing that the person has complex efatures superb recreation. These have plenty of adventures that anyone can execute aytime not to mention everywhere. Relating to the toher hands, this kind of machine can be purchased in african american coloor, that’s the most accepted shade all over the world. By simply purchasing this kind of machine implies that anyone can dispatch not to mention acquire e-maipls using attachemnts inside a a lot more rapiid method. This approach phoone shall be used by working people which quite often will need to check out ones own email address whle there’re not really facing ones own Computer systems. LG KP500 Dessert an alternative style as a result of LG is known as a qualified the manufacturer. This approach type Dessert mobile phone features various characteristics who unquestionably help make your mpobile owners are usually dependnet fitted. This approach fabulous machine can be purchased in numerous colours, including african american, Vandyke brown leafy, anodized silcver not to mention your old watches classy. You should buy this kind of mobile phone on these colours. There are lots of men and women that desire to shop for devices prior to thheir favoruite colours not to mention horoscope. This approach communicationms machine possesses a digital camera 3. 2 brilliant pixels whicch your photograph reslution connected with 2048 a 1536 pxels. This approach digital camera may take prime quality imaegs, numerous experts down load tese images on the web, save you on your hard disk and remove them connected with prrint not to mention, subsequently, available him or her. During standby method, the power is definitely 350 time not to mention speak this kind of machine.

• Lupe Kueny said:

I am very happy i observed this great blog site. i must express gratitude for all the period together with work you have put into this specific. I am going to keep coming back once more, Thanks a lot

• web site said:

I will be happy i identified an excellent website. i must give you thanks for all your moment together with effort that you’ve placed into this. Let me come back again, Thanks

• No BS - Real Traffic said:

Thank you so much for bringing this to our minds eye. This is a good article with a lot of information, good content!

• allword said:

Barnum Hall, It really holds a history. Imagine since 1937 and until now, it serves viewers.

• vigrx made in canada said:

It’s going to be finish of mine day, except before ending I am reading this

great piece of writing to increase my experience.

• Masters Cinemas 7 Augusta said:

Jeez, thank you so much for posting this! It is gonna be so helpful when I am thinking about going to Masters Cinemas 7 in Augusta! I am from Warrington, PA so I am not familiar with Augusta. Next time I see my family will be much better! Super Mind Blowing!

• website said:

This blog was… how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I’ve
    found something that helped me. Appreciate it!

• dish network Las Vegas, NV, Nevada remote control programming said:

You ought to take part in a contest for one of
    the best sites on the web. I most certainly will recommend this site!