Updated Monday 9:30 a.m. A false sighting led an LAPD SWAT team to a Lowe’s in Northridge Sunday, as the massive manhunt continues for accused killer Christopher Dorner. In addition to the two women who were mistakenly fired on, a man driving a truck similar to Dorner’s was also targeted by police. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa announced yesterday that the city is putting up a $1 million reward for information leading to Dorner’s capture and conviction.
Updated Friday 9:30 a.m: The search for Christopher Dorner is continuing in Big Bear today, even as authorities searched homes and the surrounding area until late Thursday night. LAPD canceled their tactical alert on Friday, even as the search continued. (CBS)
Updated 3:00 p.m.: Officers have been searching near Big Bear after a burned out pickup truck was discovered in the area. The community is in lockdown and the schools have been closed.
LAPD Chief Charlie Beck said in a press conference that the hunt for ex-cop Christopher Dorner is still continuing. Dorner, a former Los Angeles police officer, is suspected of shootinga Southern California officer late last night. Authorities had been looking for him in connection with the murder of an Orange County couple on Sunday.
Dorner had written a manifesto, which he posted to Facebook, calling for “unconventional and asymmetrical warfare” against police.
Dorner also threatened more than two dozen people — including police officials — in his manifesto. Officers from around Southern California have been deployed to protect those people. In some cases, police said, those at risk have relocated for their safety. (LA Times)
“I would tell him to turn himself in, this has gone far enough, no one else needs to die,” Beck told reporters Thursday.
The LA Times reports that Dorner checked into a San Diego military hotel several days ago and did not check out.
You can listen to Chief Beck’s statements below, and we’ll have updates throughout the day on 89.9 KCRW.