Avi Roth is possessed by coffee. Not just the need to consume it, but what he can create with it. He’s converted his studio in Pasadena into an art gallery to showcase work he’s been making for six years now: Lithographs from coffee. Or as he calls them, coffeegraphs.

Aquatic Maiden

I toured the gallery last week, where over 40 pieces are expertly lit and hung. (And where Roth made me a delicious espresso, although he won’t divulge the source of the beans.) He told me, “Everything that you see here was made out of the precious liquid that you drink every morning.” Then he corrected himself: “It wasn’t really made. It’s a cooperation between nature and myself.”

The works are mixed-media: grounds, liquid, foam, layered, sometimes over a period of days. Never, Roth says, does he use a brush.  After he’s content with the work, he photographs it through a microscope. Occasionally he adds color, as with the Aquatic Maiden pictured here.

Wizard

Roth says the idea of making art with coffee came to him when he stared at a sink filled with dirty coffee cups six years ago–and in the grounds, an image appeared: “I do believe that the spirit of these images existed prior. I just happened to remove the veil and expose them.” He’s hoping art patrons are similarly consumed by his work.  Coming soon to the walls of your favorite neighborhood espresso bar, perhaps? Roth won’t mind. He’s a businessman as well as an artist. Hear more below:

• Saguaro said:

Very interesting indeed! The images are provocative and beautiful. Clearly, art can be found anywhere if we only are aware and open to a good, old fashioned mystical moment captured in time.

• foam roller advice said:

Great to be here. I will share with others about this. Thanks.

• Forsythe said:

Amazing. I am impressed with the ingenuity of the materials used for the equally amazing canvas. perth painters could use this as inspiration.

• Charles said:

Being possessed by coffee is an understatement. I would never have thought of using what I got from the coffee beans suppliers from perth on a canvass.

• maryaehenry said:

At first sight, no one would think that that portrait was made from coffee grinds. It's amazing! He's an ingenuous artist and he deserves to be recognized for this unique artwork. I'll try to buy coffee beans online and see for myself if I could also paint using coffee grinds.

• funny pictures said:

Thank you for generating my individual students have access to your internet site post. Your kindness will be drastically appreciated. I’ve got some ongoing tasks and I wanted all these students assist me with it. The only way they could do this was carry out some exploration online so as to help make my perform faster. They came across your website coupled with the content material on it, specially this website post, seriously aided them to come to superior conclusions on things we necessary to carry out.

• Charles II said:

Do they do franchise for sale Sydney? I really like their coffee art because of the aquatic theme.

• KimK said:

You’ll be able to absolutely see your enthusiasm in the paintings you write. The entire world hopes for all the more passionate writers for example you who are not afraid to say how they think. Normally follow your heart.

• bert selig said:

grinds? isn't it coffee GROUNDS?

• mygirlfund said:

Our exercises to enlarge the male member are 100% natural and effective! No male member pumps, no pills, no ointments, no weight hanging nor strange artifacts!

• Mia Schlunke said:

My sister loves painting random things using salt and sand. I think I should let her try this for a change. It is a cool art becomes it can come with different scent of aroma.

• Gordon Bivins said:

Simply want to say your article is as astonishing. The clarity in your submit is just excellent and that i can assume you’re a professional on this subject. Well together with your permission allow me to grasp your RSS feed to keep up to date with drawing close post. Thanks a million and please carry on the enjoyable work.

• Our site said:

You can definitely see your enthusiasm within the paintings you write. The arena hopes for more passionate writers like you who aren’t afraid to mention how they believe. Always follow your heart. “A simple fact that is hard to learn is that the time to save money is when you have some.” by Joe Moore.

• craigslist forwarded phone numbers said:

When I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and already whenever a comment is added I recieve 4 emails applying the same comment. Could there be however you’ll be capable of eradicate me from that service? Thanks!

• Intuit Payroll Login said:

Just to allow you to know, i believe this would be terrific as an write-up, attempt Yahoo Articles or ezine, you could get some money for it!

• Melanie said:

Hey I'm not a coffee drinker, but I'm an art lover. Your work is fun and inspiring! I once used coffee to color some fancy paper I made that I turned into wedding invitations. Your work is even more creative! You used many aspects of coffee!

• paid to write said:

Loved your take on Painting with coffee grinds | Which Way L.A.?! I’m just now getting into it myself.

• Solar Panel said: