Correction, 5/24/12: This post mistakenly described the Beverly Hills Marketing effort in a way that could imply it was fraudulent. KCRW does not have any evidence of fraudulent activity and so regrets the error.

The note was stuck in the driver side door of my car.  I discovered it Friday evening in the staff parking lot at Santa Monica College.  My first thought was, “Wow, that woman has great penmanship.”  My second: “Nice that someone thinks my cute little 2003 Miata is… cute.”  But wanting to buy it?  I’m not interested in selling it.

Then a visiting friend saw the note lying on top of some other papers on my kitchen counter.  “We got the same exact note in Santa Monica, too.  And so did some other people we know.”

When she called the number just to see who it was, she talked to someone at Beverly Hills Marketing who offered to help sell her car.  (That explains “Beverly’s” unusual last name: HM.) When I called, all I got was a generic voice-mail.   (I didn’t leave a message, since I didn’t want a call back.)

An Internet search of the phone number turned up another instance of the note.  And another. (The site 800notes lets you enter in telemarketing numbers and such to build a database of them for others to scan.)

Turns out that nice handwriting is a marketing ploy.  Of what, exactly, isn’t clear.  But isn’t some person who thought your car, in particular, was so great…

• Lauren Barber said:

Lisa Napoli, after reading your article I find your posting of this article as a scam and scheme. You have failed to provide any evidence about this firm being part of a scam. There Is nothing inappropriate here except for your own personal dislike, and by posting such bashing articles, you can be prosecuted for defamation of one's business.

Beverly Hills Marketing is a car marketing firm and they are actually very helpful with marketing vehicles. They helped both me and my friend with the marketing of our cars and at the end of the day we ended up selling our cars for much more than what the dealer was willing to give us. We both got top top market price for our cars and we did not have to pay anything in advance. They are a very ethical and creative company and best of all deliver results with full integrity. Next time I would do some research before writing misleading articles and putting your job on the line.

For your reference their website is http://www.beverlyhm.com and their number is 310-982-2630

Lauren Barber

• Melony G. said:

I can't believe this Lisa Napoli chick. Why would she want to dog a local company trying to help the troubled people of Los Angeles??? these people who support people in tough financial situations. What a shame Lisa.. You obviously have nothing better to do. You obviously can't relate to the common working class people who are commonly being taken advantage of. You obviously wouldn't know any better because you're just too lazy to turn your head away from the computer and find out the truth behind what these valuable soldiers are bringing to our country.

• Sonia J. said:

Dear Lisa, upon reading this article, I have realized that you obviously aren't a real journalist. You haven't provided any real evidence and have clearly made a wrongful assumption that this company is some how involved in a "scam". I've actually received this same clever note on my little Honda Civic. I called and was warmly greeted by a gentleman who kindly gave me an estimate on my car's local market value even though I did not want to use their services at the moment. We ended up chatting for a while and I ended up saving their number and referring a family member to them who ended up very happy with the results that they delivered. Beverly Hills Marketing is one of the few local businesses that I've found that work with a great deal of integrity. They even call me once in a while to see how me and my car are doing. You definitely need to write a retraction and do some actual research next time you decide to bash a company you know absolutely nothing about. If all it takes to be considered a journalist is to make up stories and assumptions, then I don't think I can trust anything from KCRW any longer. I am terribly disappointed and will look for news elsewhere. You have brought great shame to KCRW and have ruined their integrity.

• Lauren Barber said:

TERESA YOU ARE A CLOWN!!!!!!!

• 中古車買取 said:

Online car selling culture is developing with rapid pace; buyers are more interested to buy online than to visit the showroom. Thus they should read good stuff before they visit any website.

• guest said:

junior achievement group?

• Windshields said:

I'm trying to find the top selling car in 1949. Are there any good resources to find this information?

• tink said:

Nearly two years after the date of this post, I received the same note on my car while parked in Santa Monica. NY first thought was “scam”, which is why I Googled it, which is how I found this post. I am surprised at the commenters who seem angry at the writer. This is offline spam at best. To the person who said this company is “helping the troubled people of Los Angeles”, what makes you think this is a public service? Or that it is helping “troubled” people? My car is 7 years old and in great condition. It was $32K when new; not fancy by any means (especially in LA) but it certainly doesn’t indicate financial trouble, especially while parked in a shopping and dining area.

• tink said:

*my first thought. Also, if I had more free time, would check iutbof curiosity…I would be willing to bet they are offering below KBB value.