You don’t usually associate construction workers with art.  At least, I don’t.  But starting Tuesday, there’ll be a team of hardhats deployed to begin the great march of the 340 ton boulder also known as Levitated Mass to its new home over a giant slit in the earth behind LACMA.

Stalled for months by bureaucratic proceedings to ensure that that march is safe, the eleven-day trek of  106 miles will begin at a quarry in Riverside, which gave birth to the blasted rock that’s becoming an artpiece.  Night-time is when transportation will occur; since the route is through such a densely populated area, travel at off-hours is key to making the schlep palatable to the municipalities involved.  (Insert corny “journey-as important-as-destination” aphorism here.)

Not to mention that it will have the least impact on traffic: The 200-foot long transporter takes up three highway lanes, and can only go as fast as 8mph. (Now that’s traffic, Kajon Cermak!)

Play along on LACMA’s website, where there’s a classroom activity guide to the giant sculpture, as well as a map of the route if you want to come out and wave hello:

View Levitated Mass in a larger map
To put into perspective how monumental a week the coming one is, aside from the protracted permitting process: the idea for Levitated Mass has been germinating in artist Michael Heizer‘s brain for over 40 years, but he’s been searching nearly that long for just the right slab.

Meet some of the guys who are going to make this possible in this video from the museum’s website:

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

• OBSART said:

Check out this blog for further details: http://www.landart.fr
    Best and enjoy the route!

• click here to visit site said:

Thanks for generating the sincere attempt to discuss this. I feel very strong around it and wish to read a lot more. If it is OK, as you obtain a lot more in depth information, might you thoughts adding extra articles comparable to this a single with additional information? It could possibly be extraordinarily practical and helpful for me and my close friends.

• Lyndia Stamnos said:

excellent post, very informative. I wonder why the other experts of this sector don’t notice this. You should continue your writing. I am confident, you have a huge readers’ base already!

• san diego bankruptcy specialist said:

Hi, i think that i saw you visited my blog thus

i came to “return the favor”.I am attempting to find things to enhance my

site!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!

!

• keith karol said:

Having read this I thought it was extremely enlightening.

I appreciate you spending some time and effort to put this information together.

I once again find myself personally spending a significant

amount of time both reading and posting comments. But so what, it was

still worth it!

• find a bankruptcy attorney said:

I do agree with all the ideas you’ve presented in your post. They are very convincing and can definitely work. Still, the posts are too brief for newbies. May you please extend them a little from next time? Thank you for the post.

• ac repair miami fl said:

Excellent beat ! I would like to apprentice while you
    amend your web site, how could i subscribe for a blog web site?
    The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit
    acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear idea

• Pest control said:

I know of the fact that now, more and more people are attracted to digital cameras and the industry of digital photography. However, to be a photographer, you need to first commit so much time period deciding which model of video camera to buy as well as moving out of store to store just so you could buy the most economical camera of the brand you have decided to select. But it isn’t going to end now there. You also have to take into account whether you should obtain a digital digital camera extended warranty. Thanks a bunch for the good tips I accumulated from your website.

• canada reflexology said:

I believe that avoiding prepared foods would be the first step so that you can lose weight. They can taste beneficial, but processed foods have very little nutritional value, making you try to eat more only to have enough power to get over the day. If you are constantly taking in these foods, moving over to whole grains and other complex carbohydrates will help you to have more strength while ingesting less. Interesting blog post.