Are you kidding me? Nope, miles and miles of surface streets are going to be shut down from Venice to and into downtown for the triathlon and the nearly 3000 triathletes.
From The Los Angeles Police Department and the City of Los Angeles Department of Transportation here is the schedule and a list of the closures for tomorrow, Sunday, September 30, 2012
- 7:15 a.m. – Professionals start at Venice Beach
- 7:15 a.m. – 5K Fun Run at 11th St and Flower to Grand and 1st and return to start line
- 7:25 a.m. – Elite amateurs
- 7:30 a.m. – All divisions in waves of 150 each
- 12:00 p.m. – Finish line festival at L.A. LIVE! Nokia Plaza Awards ceremony
The cycle and run portion of the triathlon will be managed in three sectors, closing and opening in waves as the competitors move from Venice to downtown. The following are hard closures during the projected time of the event and will have impact on the surrounding traffic:
- Sector 1 – Venice Beach, Venice Blvd. to Fairfax Ave./Olympic Blvd. (approx. 6:50 a.m. to 11:15 a.m.)
- Note: Both the on and off ramps of Venice Blvd. at the 405 Freeway and Fairfax Ave. at the 10 Freeway will be closed when cyclists are on the closed course.
- Sector 2 – Fairfax Ave./Olympic Blvd. to 11th St. and Flower St. (approx. 7:10 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.)
- Sector 3 – 11th St. and Flower St. to 1st St. and Grand Ave. (approx. 7:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.)
The above map is from the LADOT. There is a GREAT website with all the maps for the various events Map My Ride. I highly recommend it! Very easy to negotiate. Thanks to LAist for the heads up!