Do you have old unpaid traffic tickets? There’s a new limited time amnesty offer that may let you pay off that court ordered debt at a 50% discount. The offer’s good for six months, January 1st through June 30, 2012. It applies to tickets due before January 1, 2009. For specific eligibility requirements, check with your local Superior Court. And pay off those old debts at a 50% discount.
WHO: For drivers with outstanding traffic tickets that was due to be paid in full before January 1, 2009. All of the following also must apply:
• You either failed to appear in court or failed to pay in full.
• The last date you made a payment was on or before January 1, 2009.
• You who don’t owe restitution to a victim on any case in the county where the traffic case was filed.
• You who have no outstanding misdemeanor or felony warrants in the county where the traffic case was filed.
• Other eligibility requirements may vary from county to county
WHAT: The California Legislature mandated (Assembly Bill 1358) that all 58 counties implement a one-time amnesty period that allows a lump sum payment of 50 percent of the outstanding balance on certain violations to fully satisfy that court ordered obligation.
Only traffic tickets that were due to be paid before January 1, 2009, are eligible. Parking tickets, driving under the influence (DUI), and reckless driving cases are NOT eligible.
WHEN: The program begins January 1, 2012, and ends June 30, 2012.
HOW: Payment may be made in whatever form is customary in your county, which may include credit card, cash, cashier’s checks, money orders, and personal checks.
WHY: A one-time infraction amnesty program would do the following:
• Provide relief to individuals who have found themselves in violation of a court-ordered obligation because they are financially unable to pay traffic bail or fines.
• Provide increased revenue at a time when revenue is scarce by encouraging payment of old fines that have remained unpaid.
• Allow courts and counties to resolve older delinquent cases and focus limited resources on collecting on more recent cases.
• A one-time amnesty program for fines and bail meeting the eligibility requirements.
images culled from google
How Do I Qualify for the Ticket Amnesty Program?