A few weeks ago Dick LaPalm, who was Nat Cole’s manager and still active in the jazz community, sent me a bunch of photos by a photographer I hadn’t heard of:  Teenie Harris.  There were photos of Duke Ellington, Art Blakey, and Sarah Vaughan that I’d never seen.

I went online to find out more about Teenie.  I found that there is a wonderful new book out, cataloguing a show that runs through April 2012 at the Carnegie Museum of Art in Pittsburgh.  The exhibition and book (University of Pittsburgh Press) shows pictures he took of  stars like Josephine Baker, Lena Horne, and Sarah Vaughan that I likewise have never seen, even though I have many books by great jazz photographers like William Claxton and Herman Leonard.   The book that accompanies the museum show is called Teenie Harris Photographer:  Image, Memory, History.  The book was put together by Cheryl Finley, Laurence Glasco, and Joe W. Trotter, with an introduction by Deborah Willis.

Teenie Harris lived and photographed in Pittsburgh his whole life;  many of his photos were taken during the heyday of the steel mills before they were shut down.  He took timeless photos of not only jazz musicians who were based or visited there, but also sports icons such as Joe Louis, Muhammed Ali and Jackie Robinson.  There are also pictures of Vice-President Nixon and John F. Kennedy.  In the larger frame, he captured the joys and sorrows of African American community in Pittsburgh from the 1940s to the 1970s like few have.  Many of his images are from his work as a staff photographer for the Pittsburgh Courier.

One of my favorite shots is an image of eleven year-old Ahmad Jamal, one of my favorite pianists ever.  He is perched on a trumpet case so as to reach the keyboard!  (photo credit:  Heinz Family Fund, Carnegie Museum of Art, and University of Pittsburgh Press.

TuneIn KCRW Radio App

• Debra Levine said:

I must see this book. I grew up in Pittsburgh the daughter of a radio broadcaster. Thank you for this post, Tom.

• contact said:

W. Trotter, with an introduction by Deborah Willis. The book was put together by Cheryl Finley, Laurence Glasco, and Joe

• tom schnabel (author) said:

i'm supposed to keep it to 200 words but want to give interesting info and historical tidbits too. thanks for reading it. many more to come!

• Adam said:

There were photos term paper writing services
    ( http://www.research-papers.me/ ) of Duke Ellington, Art Blakey, and Sarah Vaughan that I’d never seen.

• lavagem de estofados said:

• lavagem de tapetes said:

• lavagem de sofa said:

Teenie Harris lived and photographed in Pittsburgh his whole life; many of his photos were taken during the heyday of the steel mills before they were shut down.

• lavagem de carpetes said:

A few weeks ago Dick LaPalm, who was Nat Cole’s manager and still active in the jazz community, sent me a bunch of photos by a photographer I hadn’t heard of: Teenie Harris. There were photos of Duke Ellington, Art Blakey, and Sarah Vaughan that I’d never seen.

• estofados said:

this book is very good

• carpintaria said:

The exhibition and book (University of Pittsburgh Press) shows pictures he took of stars like Josephine Baker, Lena Horne, and Sarah Vaughan that I likewise have never seen, even though I have many books by great jazz photographers like William Claxton and Herman Leonard.

• tom (author) said:

his photos have a homespun Steeltown feel, a local feel. and are very warm. Clax and Herman are the great jazz photographers……thanks for checking the post.

• curso de wordpress said:

Thanks in support of share this exalted and appealing article with us

• Andrew said:

Wow! Ahmad Jamal! One of the most influential pianist ever! I love this photo of the young Ahmad Jamal!

Andrew