As a general rule, I’m not usually drawn to modern singer-songwriter folk-rock types. That’s not to say I don’t appreciate the music, it’s just that you probably won’t find me listening to the likes of Bon Iver or Mumford & Sons in my spare time.

But every now and then an artist will come around and transcend any misgivings I have about a particular sound.

Jake Bugg is one of those artists.

YouTube Preview Image

His first single, “Trouble Town” found its way into my inbox a few months ago. I was absolutely floored.

This 18 year old kid (who could pass for much younger) from the UK with the nasal-toned twang of Woody Guthrie and pop sensibility of Donovan was singing with the road-weariness of a man three times his age.

I was all in on Jake Bugg.

I can happily report that such is not the case on Jake Bugg’s self-titled debut — hands down, one of the best albums of the year. He’s equally adept at rocking out (“Lightning Bolt“, “Seen It All“) as he is at taking things slow (“Broken”, “Ballad Of Mr Jones”, “Someone Told Me”).

He’s already blowing up in the UK and it’s only a matter of time before America gets Bugg-ed out. Get on the bandwagon now while there’s still room.

YouTube Preview Image
Related Posts with Thumbnails

• kalalaumango said:

With a lot of young artists with this much potential, you worry if there’s anything beyond the first single or if they will cow to the whims of a record company to make their sound more marketable (i.e. sell out)./////do you have to spell out the crap of marketing to a new audience, because your audience itself has been dumbed down from a promotional attraction or advertising traffic brought by horrible productions from which i was fleeing and initially enjoyed kcrw 25 years ago?? the united states has had the bug for years and that is what has made almost your entire a culture a sell-out. after all, your music is cheekily cute and other times quite good, but as i've asked for awhile — if someone has worked on the streets of your city over months at a time during 11 years ….. have you done that?? yet, your hospitality or evolution sucks to a degree that you cannot even invite that person for a party or a variance to the tried setting of benches on your streets…….what does that say about the creative flow or opening of your music beyond the constraints of constipated studios?? i've heard plenty of sell-outs playing studio sessions on your station which is why i rarely listen to them any longer — beth orton was lovely. glad i missed patti smith, but i hope she likes the rings i gave her. free money has polluted so much in this country — i will be in bliss when i leave permanently to a location of MY choosing after the time that you've been using MY work while funds owed to me to continue MY work have been blocked by your sell-out accountants. cheers.

• Trollololo said:

Oh god, where's the the thumbs down / spam button?!

• Isaac Jakubowicz said:

I am glad this a Democracy, and we have the "Right to Agree to Disagree…" Not quiet yet my friend! May be in a few years more (?) I think you have overrated him, sorry. Isaac Jakubowicz.

• Alison said:

After reading this article at work I was dying to give it a listen but my headphones weren't working. got on my laptop the second i got home… and it is awesome! I am definitely into this sound. He seems like he'd be cool live too. Hope he makes his way to the US soon- and makes LA a priority!

Always discovering much awesome music thanks to KCRW~ love it so!

• singing artists said:

Hey TRAVIS HOLCOMBE Thanks for sharing it me, I Agree after reading Title I'm also dying to see the video because i'm deeply attached to every music and every creative individual singing artist.

• Tom Odell: Artist You Should Know | KCRW Music Blog said:

[...] but there are a couple young ones on the scene getting a lot of attention. We recently profiled Jake Bugg and now we turn our attention to piano man Tom [...]

• hotel frankfurt said:

Art is imporatant to show your talent.If you will focus on one thing.You can achieve the thing easily.

• Counselling Oxford said:

Love Jake Bugg, can't wait to see him live in February!

• Chester Niedermaier said:

This site truly has all the information I wanted about this subject and didn’t know who to ask.

• Min Pizzico said:

You’re so interesting! I don’t suppose I’ve truly read through something like that before. So wonderful to discover someone with a few original thoughts on this subject matter. Seriously.. thanks for starting this up. This website is one thing that’s needed on the internet, someone with some originality!

• Thelma Yacavone said:

Pretty! This was an incredibly wonderful article. Many thanks for supplying these details.

• Denver Forbs said:

Nice post. I learn something new and challenging on blogs I stumbleupon every day. It’s always interesting to read through articles from other writers and practice a little something from other websites.

• Carole Marantz said:

You made some really good points there. I checked on the web for additional information about the issue and found most people will go along with your views on this web site.

• katalog seo said:

F*ckin’ amazing things here. I am very satisfied to look your post. Thanks a lot and i am looking forward to touch you. Will you please drop me a mail?

• CV ketel said:

Thanks for the recommendations you have contributed here. Another thing I would like to say is that personal computer memory specifications generally increase along with other advancements in the technologies. For instance, whenever new generations of processors are introduced to the market, there’s usually a related increase in the shape calls for of both pc memory and hard drive room. This is because the application operated by means of these processors will inevitably increase in power to make new engineering.

• Muscle Building Review said:

This could be the proper blog for anybody who genuinely wants to figure out about this subject. You’re aware of so substantially its practically difficult to argue with you (not also I truly would want…HaHa). You definitely place a brand new spin on the topic thats been revealed for years. Exceptional stuff, just great!

• bi fold doors london said:

Hi there, I located your weblog by way of Google while looking for very first aid for a heart attack and your post looks really intriguing for me.

• KCRW’s SXSW 2013 Showcases Announced! | KCRW Music Blog said:

[...] sensation Jake Bugg will be making his Morning Becomes Eclectic debut on February 20 and we have high hopes for this [...]

• Orlando Grabow said:

As I website owner I believe the articles here is rattling superb , thanks for your efforts.

• paleo muffins said:

Your kindness shall be considerably appreciated.

• Jake Bugg Live on KCRW — Broken (Acoustic) | KCRW Music Blog said:

[...] Jake Bugg will play the same timeslot again this year and we have high hopes for him as well. This 18-year-old wunderkind from the UK has “the goods” as we like to say.  He played an acoustic version of his track “Broken” for us on MBE recently and this stripped down version is all you need to be convinced of his talent. [...]

• Caleb Cayne said:

Hi! This post could not be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my old room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this article to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thank you for sharing!