Z-Trip is a good friend to have. When artist Shepard Fairey was creating his new exhibition Sound + Vision, which opens at the Stolen Space galley in London this week, he called on the ““godfather of the mash up” to create the soundtrack. Z-Trip went to work immediately weaving together bits of music from multiple genres while giving all his unique Z style.

The exhibit, named for a David Bowie song, is very music focused and the mix features bands that have inspired Fairey’s work.

Z-Trip is performing at the opening tonight and the soundtrack will be piped in the gallery through the duration of the show.

Since flights to Europe aren’t cheap, we’ve got our hands on the mix so you can hear it wherever you may be!

Z-Trip — Sound + Vision Soundtrack

Shepard is actually displaying a ¼ of his own record collection as part of the exhibit, which also includes portraits of everyone from Bob Marley to Joe Strummer.

From Shepard:

“Music is visceral, but also has the additional powerful layers of the lyrics, with their content and politics, and the style, politics, and personalities of the musicians themselves. No matter how much I love art, or try to convince myself of its relevance in society, the fact remains that music is much more able to reach people’s hearts and minds.”

For those unfamiliar with Fairey, he is one of the most famous street artists in the world and has also displayed his work in some of the biggest museums, including MOMA, Boston ICA and the Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery.

He created the iconic the “Andre the Giant has a Posse” image while still in design school. That visual (which I discovered plastered to freeway overpasses when I first moved to LA 12 years ago) not only ignited the imagination of those who saw it, but evolved into the present day OBEY GIANT campaign – as his site says, “manufacturing quality dissent since 1989”. He also famously created the “Hope” portrait of President Barack Obama, which came to symbolize his 2008 campaign.

His love of music is obvious to us at KCRW. He filled in for our own Henry Rollins during his international travels a couple years ago and you can hear his Guest DJ set in the archives here.

As a producer, Z-Trip has worked with everyone from DJ Shadow, Bassnectar and Datisk to Public Enemy, Will.I.Am and Michael Jackson, naming just a few. As a performer, he is revered as one of the best live performance DJs in history, by both fans and peers.  (You also might have spotted him in DJ Hero as a playable character alongside Daft Punk, Grand Master Flash and Deadmau5!).

Related Posts with Thumbnails

• Explore Worldwide said:

Nice article, thanks.

• Daniel Tres D said:

Wow! How can I download it ?! Buy or something. Tks

• That Dude said:

Starting with The Specials and The Clash? Best start to a mix I've ever heard!

• Jim Bolas said:

This hurts! Why doesn't someone at KCRW or someone on their board fund to produce this? I love that y'all always play this fierce shit, but some of it is never released. I love you KCRW…I will never leave you…even though I'm in NYC…just please stop being such an aural tease. ;) Kisses! xoboxo

• dave said:

Download?! Quit being dicks.

• Jeremy said:

what the song playing under the guy talking at the beginning(first one)?

• Bo Bolas said:

The one with Jello Biafra…it was so good!

• Toni said:

oh F^C%N' $#!T yeah! Dope, bring the Exhibit global… yes you know you should!

• KooJii said:

Cool cool cool! What is the second track?

• Anonymous said:

No reason to call people names, it's really quite simple to download it if you desire to. Just follow these steps:

1. Install the livehttpheaders extension for firefox here: http://livehttpheaders.mozdev.org/
    2. Once your browser has restarted, go back to this page.
    3. Click on Tools>Live HTTP Headers
    4. Click on the Generator tab, and check the box next to “request”
    5. On the music player, click on the play button.
    6. You should see the mp3 show up immediately on the Live HTTP Headers window. You might have to look through the list, but the file extension is .mp3
    7. Navigate to the mp3 location and hit File>Save As. You have your mp3.

• Eddy said:

Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath. Sounds like a lil' loop of the intro. Ice T sampled it too it's a BELTER in'it! GOOOOOOOO Zed-Trip! So gutted I missed this gig. I live in the UK and got the e-mail about the gig the morning after!!!! Z's never in the UK =(

• Eddy said:

"it's really quite simple to download" !!!!! Say WHUT!!

• Eddy said:

Epic, epic, EPIC SET!!! Loved the Flight of the Navigator sample at the end, Z never fails to deliver. Encore…!

• Wendy said:

I just did everything u said above & I cant get it to download. Im not seeing MP3 anywhere in what is coming up, & when I try to save what is there it just says All Files. Love this mix, please help!

• Co-Sign Collective » Blog Archive » Z-Trip Soundtrack for Shepard Fairey’s ‘Sound + Vision’ Exhibit said:

[...] to Europe aren’t cheap, we’ve got our hands on the mix so you can hear it wherever you may be! Check out Z-Trip’s Sound + Vision Soundtrack courtesy of our friends at [...]

• Atrak said:

Paste "http://blogs.kcrw.com/musicnews/audio/soundandvision.mp3" into offliberty.com and right click save as!

Its that simple

• Anon E. Mouse said:

or just right click the link and hit "save link as" :D

• It was a good run said:

Usually Z puts his mixes up on his site for download. Give him a minute.

Z Tears it up again.

DJ SAG
    60 Miles N. of Detroit

• djoldschool said:

Shut up be happy – Ice T (voiced by the guy in Smashing Pumpkins)

• bofield8 said:

Actually, I think it's voiced by Jello Biafra from The Dead Kennedys

• Mandelbrot said:

Does anyone know what interview or lecture that last bit of spoken word was from? About creating your own space in the world.

• Anonymous said:

Technically it begins with Jello Biafra's spoken word track "Message From Our Sponsor" laid over Black Sabbath, but I agree it's a great mix!

• Anonymous said:

The vocal is Jello Biafra (of Dead Kennedys) from his 1987 spoken word album "No More Cocoons". It's the opening track titled "Message From Our Sponsor". It was also sampled by Ice-T on his song "Shut Up, Be Happy" and "Message From Our Sponsor" also appeared on the soundtrack to the film "Terminal City Ricochet". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPhLDYVyK5Y

• Anonymous said:

Thank you for this info. Following this instruction it was simple and fast. Too bad the artist doesn't make it available for purchase or I would have bought it. If it becomes available I will.

• McMike said:

List of songs and samples (feel free to reply with mistakes/additions):

Jello Biafra "Message From Our Sponsor"
    Black Sabbath "Black Sabbath"
    The Prodigy "Ghost Town" (The Specials cover)
    Eric B & Rakim "Paid In Full"
    Madness "One Step Beyond"
    Big Audio Dynamite "Bad"
    Mr. Williamz "London"
    The Clash "London Calling"
    The Clash "London's Burning"
    Time Zone "World Destruction"
    Ice-T "Body Count"
    Sex Pistols "Anarchy in the U.K."
    Public Enemy "Timebomb"
    Public Enemy "She Watch Channel Zero"
    Public Enemy "Can't Truss It" Live
    Public Enemy "Don't Believe the Hype"
    Shiner Massive "Waiting Room" (Fugazi cover)
    Liz Martin "Sound and Vision" (David Bowie cover)
    David Bowie "Sound and Vision"
    Queen "Another One Bites the Dust"
    Metallica "One"
    David Bowie "DJ"
    Led Zeppelin "Immigrant Song"
    Public Enemy "Bring the Noise"
    Public Enemy "Night of the Living Baseheads"
    Public Enemy "Louder than a Bomb"
    Public Enemy "Public Enemy No. 1"
    LL Cool J "Rock the Bells"
    Trouble Funk "Go Go Girls (Ladies Love Cool Z-Trip Breakdown)"
    Joan Jett "Bad Reputation"
    Blondie "Heart of Glass"
    Bob Marley "Get Up Stand Up"
    SBTRKT "Wildfire"
    Frank Sinatra "My Way"
    Sid Vicious "My Way" (Frank Sinatra cover)
    Thomas Newman "American Beauty"
    Utah Phillips "Utah on "I Will Not Obey""

• Bo Bolas said:

WERK ME, DAMMIT!! Thanks for that, McMike! :)

• Rana said:

A few years back I decided to learn about the NetBeans Platform as a basis to build spiffy Swing applications. At the same time, I decided I needed a Scheme how to write a research paper IDE that could run my favourite Scheme implementations. And that's how LambdaBeans was started.

• McMike said:

Utah Phillips speaking about his song "I Will Not Obey"

• Pablo said:

Thanks! This worked. =)

• @hd420p said:

job done and at good speed. thank you very much.

• jacadi boutiques london said:

Wow! This can be one particular of the most useful blogs We’ve ever arrive across on this subject. Basically Magnificent. I’m also an expert in this topic therefore I can understand your effort.

• Rüya Tabirleri said:

Rüyaların yorumlanması konusunda dikkat edilmesi gereken en önemli husus, kaynakların güvenilirliğidir. Dini açıdan güvenilir kaynaklar kullanılması, rüya tabiri gerçekçiliği adına son derece önemlidir.
    Ara yüz olarak, kullanışlı ve görsellik anlamında en özel islami rüya tabirleri sitesi olduğumuz konusunda iddialıyız. Sizi temin ederiz ki bu kalitemizi sonuna kadar sürdüreceğiz. Sizlerle birlikte yapacağımız paylaşımlarla da içerik olarak, en geniş tabir sitelerinden birini ortaya çıkartacağız. Bu noktada bize olduğu kadar size de büyük görevler düşmektedir. Bize yorumlamamız için ileteceğiniz rüyalarınız ile , içerik anlamında sitemizi daha da güçlendireceğiz.
    Hepimiz rüya görüyoruz … En doğru , isabetli ve açıklayıcı rüya yorumu için mutlaka islamiruyayorumlari.net ‘ i seçin.

• tronvondoja said:

awesome!! offiliberty is the *ish!!!! thanks bro!

• coach handbags cheap said:

Its superb as your other posts : D, thanks for putting up. “For peace of mind, we need to resign as general manager of the universe.” by Larry Eisenberg.

• Mulberry Bags Outlet Store said:

It is actually a great and helpful piece of information. I am happy that you simply shared this useful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

• subtle embedded commands said:

Thank you for making my personal students have access for your site post. Your kindness will likely be greatly appreciated. I’ve got some ongoing tasks and I wanted all these students help me with it. The only way they could do that was carry out some exploration on the internet so as to assist make my work more rapidly. They came across your internet site as well as the content material on it, specially this blog post, seriously helped them to come to great conclusions on things we necessary to carry out.

• CV ketel said:

I like what you guys are up also. Such clever work and reporting! Carry on the excellent works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it’ll improve the value of my website :).

• best electronic cigarette yahoo answers said:

Awseome article, I am a big believer in leaving comments on sites to let the blog writers know that they’ve added some thing worthwhile to the world wide web!

• Album Releases said:

great list of songs, there are some nice new hits out today!

• zijaextreme.com said:

Wow I found this place on Yahoo poking around for some thing else completely, and now I’m going to ought to go back and go every one of the old material. So much for free time nowadays, but this was a spectacular discover.

• freesportsideas said:

I was
    guessing if You Could write a little more on this subject? I’d be very
    grateful if You Could elaborate a little bit more.