There is a wealth of world music coming to Los Angeles soon. Let’s look at these terrific events — three of which are happening this Saturday, March 26!
1. Sounds of LA: Riyaaz Qawwali: Saturday, April 9, 7 p.m. and Sunday, April 10, 4 p.m. at Harold M. Williams Auditorium, The Getty Center.
From deep in the heart of Texas, this Austin-based sufi devotional music group features musicians from India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Bangladesh. Qawwali music, made famous by the late Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, is a passionate musical expression of love, longing, and spiritual devotion. These are free concerts, but reservations are required. Click here for information and tickets.
2. Acoustic Africa: Habib Koité and Vusi Mahlasela: Saturday, March 26, 8 p.m. at Luckman Fine Arts Complex, Cal State LA
Malian superstar Habib Koité performs together with South African “The Voice” Vusi Mahlasela in what promises to be a high-energy African music extravaganza. Click here for more information.
For a taste, check out this video of Habib Koité featuring Master Soumi – Balon Tan:
3. La Santa Cecilia & Buika: Saturday, March 26, 8 p.m. at Walt Disney Concert Hall
Another superb show is happening this coming Saturday night: Flamenco giant Buika followed by La Santa Cecilia. La Santa Cecilia has become one of LA’s most popular Mexican groups, while Buika sings firey, incantatory flamenco. Click here for more information and tickets.
Here’s a Buika video to whet your musical appetite:
4. Taraf de Akácfa: Saturday, March 26, two shows at 7:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. at the Museum of Jurassic Technology, Culver City
Presented by the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Information (!), this Hungarian group will provide a scintillating evening of Romanian, Transylvanian, and Balkan Folk music. It’s a little under the radar, but should be fun. For those Westside members of the A.W.O.L. sect (always west of lincoln), who wouldn’t bother driving to Disney Hall or the Luckman, this Culver City event might be your ticket. Click here for information and tickets.
5. Catina DeLuna – LADO B Brazilian Project: Saturday, April 9, 9 p.m. at the Blue Whale
Last but not least, Brazilian singer Catina DeLuna will celebrate her birthday with a concert at the Blue Whale in DTLA. She’ll perform music from her Grammy-nominated album LADO B. Click here for more information and tickets.