Now we’ve got LeFevre’s grown-up recipe – no jello, we promise. He serves the pie at Fishing with Dynamite.
Find it below, and visit kcrw.com/pie to enter YOUR delicious pie (or pies) in the 5th Annual Good Food Pie Contest on Saturday, September 7th at LACMA.
Key Lime Pie, Graham Cracker Crust and Kaffir Lime Meringue
Graham Cracker Crust
340 grams butter
282 grams sugar
481 grams graham crumbs
1. In a small sauce pot melt the butter and allow it to cool slightly.
2. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix together.
3. Press down the wet graham in your desired pie tin and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 6 minutes.
4. Set aside and allow to cool.
Key Lime Filling
112 grams Key lime juice
142 grams sugar
150 grams whole eggs, whole
225 grams butter
1. Cut the butter into small cubes and set aside.
2. Combine remaining ingredients and in a medium sauce pot, whisking together to break down the eggs.
3. Cook on medium heat until mixture becomes thick.
4. Remove from heat and transfer into another container to cool, lining the top of the curd with plastic so that a skin doesn’t form.
5. Once the curd has cooled to room temperature, mix in the butter using a hand-blender until no pieces of butter remain and the mixture is silky smooth.
6. Fill your pre-baked graham shells, and allow them to set in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours.
100 grams egg whites
200 grams sugar
40 grams water
1 minced kaffir lime leaf
1. Combine water and sugar into a small sauce pot until it resembles wet sand.
2. Cook over a medium heat until a thermometer reads 240 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Meanwhile begin to whip egg whites while sugar is cooking.
4. Add cooked sugar very carefully to your whipping egg whites and continue to whip until meringue becomes cool and holds a stiff peak.
5. Add one kaffir lime leaf, minced to the meringue
6. Fill a piping bag with the desired tip and pipe the meringue onto the top of the pie into small peaks.
7. Using a handheld blow torch, caramelize the top of the meringue.
8. Zest the top of the pie with lime.
9. Serve and enjoy.