When KCRW News Producer Avishay Artsy and his girlfriend Amanda Sutton held a recent housewarming party, they decided that serving many small pies would be better than slicing up a big dessert for a crowd.
So they handed out these Key Lime Mojito Mini Pies, and we hear they were a hit.
Find the recipe below, and click here to enter YOUR delicious pie (or pies) in the 5th Annual Good Food Pie Contest on Saturday, September 7th at LACMA.
(From Avishay Artsy and Amanda Sutton)
Makes 10 five-inch mini pies
2 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
12 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
6 tbsp granulated sugar
Pinch of salt
2 cans (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
8 large egg yolks
1 cup fresh Key lime juice
1 tbsp grated Key lime rind
4 large mint leaves, minced
10 small mint leaves, for garnish
1-2 key limes, thinly sliced for garnish
1. Heat oven to 375°. Combine graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl, and mix well. Divide and press into 10 buttered 5″ pie plates, and bake 10 minutes, until lightly browned. Let cool on a wire rack.
2. In a large bowl, combine lime juice, rind, condensed milk and egg yolks. Pour into the cooled crusts.
3. Lower oven to 325°. Return pies to oven, and bake approximately 15 to 17 minutes, until the center is set.
4. Remove from oven, and let stand until cool.
5. Decorate pie with small mint leaf and sliver of key lime, serve at room temperature.