PIE-A-DAY #8

funnycake

For those of you who wish summertime at KCRW meant Cake-A-Day, here’s a compromise: a dessert made up of cake batter baked in a pie shell.

It’s called Funny Cake, and it’s a traditional Pennsylvania Dutch treat. (It began as a sweet breakfast, but gradually people started eating it after dinner, too.)

This recipe comes from Jennie Cook’s Who Wants Seconds?: Sociable Suppers for Vegans, Omnivores & Everyone in Between. The book is due out in October.

Find your baking instructions below, and click here to enter YOUR delicious pie (or pies) in the 5th Annual Good Food Pie Contest on Saturday, September 7th at LACMA.

We also hope to see you at tonight’s Pie Contest Benefit Dinner at Cook’s County.

No Comment »

• Mel said:

Breakfast?!?!?!? beats the hell outta a chocolate croissant

• Mimi said:

I've eaten a lot of Jennie Cook food and can't wait to eat this one!! Am looking forward to the Jennie Cook cookbook with drool, too! Let the yum begin!

• Jeanine Falco said:

amazing pics tammy….

• The Cookbook is Coming! | Jennie Cooks, A Catering Company said:

[...] – 7 15 2013  What a day!  Funny cake on the Good Food Blog! With eh recipe and everything! Thanks KCRW!  Bake it [...]

• Funny Cake on KCRW’s Good Food | Who Wants Seconds? said:

[...] out their preview of the traditional Pennsylvania Dutch treat, complete with the full recipe, and if you give it a try, let us know what you [...]

• Jason said:

Whats funny about this cake is, it takes at least 70 minutes to prepare and make it, and it takes 2 minutes to eat it. To be honest that slice in the pic looks funny too :) I wonder if my wife loves me enough to do this cake for me !

• Sabi said:

Okay, I get it, but really 3 and 1/2 cups of sugar??? Not gonna happen…

• Jukesgrrl said:

Recipe makes two pies (maybe even three given how little filling pre-made pie crusts hold). Most pecan, lemon, or chess pies have between one and two cups of sugar per pie. Fruit pies have much less because the fruit itself is sweet. Since most of the sugar goes in the chocolate portion, I don't see why that couldn't be cut back.

• Christine Derrel said:

Now that cake looks soooo tasty!!!!

• Jessica said:

Haha I can't believe people used to eat this for breakfast!

• Apps Addict said:

Thanks a lot for the recipe, I gonna give it a try

• Guest said:

This is my favorite of favorite pies! Breakfast, snack or dinner dessert! I put my recipes away so I will try this one it looks close. This is really good stuff! I got a new neighbor. Think after I taste one pie, I will take the other one to them! Unless my son stops me! His favorite pie!