Every week on the Good Food Blog we celebrate Meatless Monday by sharing a vegetarian recipe from our archives.
Frequent Good Food contributor Amelia Saltsman is a local food writer and chef. She first shared this recipe for Potato, Romano Bean and Olive Salad on June 25, 2005.
Potato, Romano Bean, and Olive Salad
Makes 8-10 servings
- 3 lbs waxy potatoes, such as Rose Finn Apple, French fingerling or Onaway
- 1 lb Romano beans*
- 6 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 Mediterranean bay leaves, broken in half
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 anchovy filets (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 2 Tablespoons capers
- Kosher or sea salt
Scrub potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes. Cut beans into half-inch pieces. Cook potatoes and beans in boiling salted water until just tender, about 15 minutes for the potatoes and 5-7 minutes for beans. Drain and place in a large bowl.
While potatoes and beans are cooking, heat olive oil with garlic, pepper flakes and bay leaves in a small pot over medium-low heat. When oil is hot, remove from heat and add anchovies, mashing them with a fork until they are completely dissolved. As soon as potatoes and green beans are cooked, toss them with half of the oil mixture. Stir vinegar into remaining oil. Add olives, parsley and capers to salad and toss with remaining dressing. Add salt, vinegar or olive oil to taste as needed. If you make the salad early in the day, taste again just before serving and correct seasoning if necessary.
* Blue lake green beans may be substituted. These will cook in 5 minutes.