Every week on the Good Food Blog we celebrate Meatless Monday by sharing a vegetarian recipe from our archives.
Keep reading for the full recipe…
Makes about 2 cups
- 2 large or 3-4 small beets, trimmed and peeled
- 1 stalk fresh lemongrass, tough outer leaves removed, tender inner stalk lightly smashed and cut into 12-inch pieces
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons honey
Serve the beets as a garnish for any pork dish. They can also be served with cheesecake or vanilla ice cream.
1. Slice the beets into 1/2-inch thick rounds, then cut into 1/2-inch dice. Tie up the lemongrass in a piece of cheesecloth.
2. Combine the beets, cheesecloth bag, sugar, brown sugar, orange juice and honey in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve sugar, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 45 minutes to 1 hour until the beets are soft.
3. Transfer the beets and cooking liquid to a bowl or other container; discard the cheesecloth bag. Let the beets cool in the liquid, then refrigerate until needed.