Every week on the Good Food Blog we celebrate Meatless Monday by sharing a vegetarian recipe from our archives.
Keep reading for the full recipe…
Savory Corn Griddle Cakes
Serves 3 or 4 as a main course
- 4 medium ears of corn, husks and silks removed
- 1 ounce cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro leaves
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for cooking the griddle cakes
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream or salsa
- Place a platter on the middle oven rack and heat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Grate the corn on the large holes or a box grater set inside a large bowl until the cobs are clean. Discard the cobs. Stir the cheese, cilantro, milk and eggs and melted butter into the corn until smooth. With a rubber spatula, fold in the four, baking soda, and salt until no streaks of flour remain.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and lightly grease it with butter. Fill a 1/4 cup measure with batter and pour the batter into the hot pan to make a round cake. Repeat until the pan is filled with griddle cakes (you should be able to fit 4 griddle cakes in the pan.) Cook, flipping the griddle cakes once, until lightly browned on both sides, about 5 minutes total. Use a spatula to transfer the griddle cakes to the warmed platter in the oven. Repeat with the remaining batter. Serve with sour cream or salsa.