This recipe is from Carrie Cusack of LA’s Simplethings Sandwich & Pie Shop which features three different pie sizes (cutie pies, simple pies, and big pies) as well as sandwiches, soups, salads, and pot pies.
Chocolate Cream Pie was a childhood favorite of mine. My Auntie Clara would make it every year for my birthday. It was the basis for my career in pie. She passed away before I ever got her recipe and worked tirelessly to replicate it. Now, it’s perfect! I constantly have people tell me that it’s just like their Mom’s or Grandma’s. A couple of weeks ago I even had a 75 year old woman ask for a hug and told me it was the first time she’s ever tasted a chocolate pie like her mom’s. Very special. We both cried. Keep reading for the recipe…
Auntie Clara’s Chocolate Pie (as served at Simplethings)
4 Large Egg Yolks Each
¼ Cup Cornstarch
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
2 Oz.Unsweetened Chocolate
5 Oz. Bittersweet Chocolate
1 Tsp. Real Vanilla
3 Cups Whole Milk
1 Tbs. Unsalted Butter
1 Each Baked Graham Cracker Crust
Chocolate Shavings for garnish
Whipped Cream for garnish
1. Place the unsweetened and bittersweet chocolate in a double boiler. Melt and cool. Set aside.
2. In a heavy bottom sauce pan whisk together the cornstarch and sugar. In a separate bowl whisk the egg yolks and milk together. While stirring constantly add the milk mixture to the sugar mixture. Whisk until smooth.
3. Over medium heat bring the mixture to a rolling boil. Lower the temperature and allow to boil for one additional minute. Remove from heat.
4. Stir in the melted chocolate, vanilla and butter. Stir until smooth.
5. Spoon the mixture into the pie crust and top with a piece of plastic wrap. Allow to sit for 30 minutes. After cooling a bit, chill pie in refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
6. When ready to serve pile whipped cream and chocolate shavings on the pie. Enjoy!