At USC last night, Evan moderated a discussion with Michael Pollan and Eric Schlosser, two of most prominent voices in food politics and sustainability today.
Eric Schlosser said that apathy was one of the biggest problems today. For Michael Pollan, getting people into the kitchen is part of the solution. “The food movement will only go so far unless you cook,” he said.
Keep reading for a list of the resources that Pollan and Schlosser mentioned:
- Grist.org – an online magazine focusing on the environment and food issues.
- Wendell Berry – poet, author, farm. Pollan recommends The Unsettling of America.
- Raj Patel – writer and activist
- Francis Moore Lappe – author, activist and founder of the Small Planet Institute. Her seminal work Diet for a Small Planet is a must read.
- Civil Eats – Pollan recommends this food and justice blog
- Marion Nestle – NYU professor and author of Food Politics. Pollan likes her blog as well.
- Mark Bittman - New York Times columnist is known for his recipes but he recently announced that he’s now writing a food/environmental column for the paper’s Op-Ed page.
- Roots of Change
- LA Food Policy Council